Sign in to follow this  
ryan

boning tool / bouncer

Does anybody know where to get something similar to the tool Bill Gomer uses in his video to smooth leather. It looks like a bone folder but much thicker and more of a round shape to it. He says he made it out of plexiglass I think but I can't find any that thick and wouldn't know how to shape and smooth it. Stohlman used something similar but it was square and he had a wood handle on it. I use a porcelin drawer pull on a wood handle along with a por door knob both work ok but that plexiglass deal Gomer has looks a lot better. Any ideas?

Ryan

Ryan, look on the net for Lexan. You should be able to buy it on line and not have to buy a huge chunk. If you know anyone with a good router and set of bits, they should be able to shape it for you. As far as getting those edges smoothed out you can either just keep using sandpaper or you can also use Acetone(nail polish remover) as it will smooth it out when you wipe it on. Big Sky Die Company used to sell rub sticks and they aren't too far from you I don't think. They sold seat sticks, bouncers, and other rub sticks. I will try to hunt down their info soon.

Ryan,

Regarding a traditional bouncer, Norm Lynds made me one a couple years ago. I think Norm is a member here. If not, I'll see if I can dig up an email address for him. I am attaching a picture below. I used to use doorknobs, but had issues with procelain vs. concrete floor. I used to buy them by the 6s at the architectural salvage, and still ran low. Norm's has a "doorknob" on one end and a bigger and slightly flatter piece on the other end. It does what I ask of it.

I have a seat stick from Hidecrafters. I had to do some tuning on it to get the shape I wanted. Big Sky's was ready to go, but I needed to use a return credit at HC.

Now as far as rubbing blocks and big bone folders - LDPE. I use the cutting board material. I cut it out with a jigsaw, and shape it with my belt sander, router, and sanding drums. It works up really easy. I have made up different curves for swells, and blocks for slicking leather. Neat thing is if you hit a nail and nick it, a quick brush against the sanding drum or belt and I am back in business in under a minute.

Copy_of_IMG_0047__Small_.jpg

post-29-1200983402_thumb.jpg

Ah a smasher. They should be still relatively easy to find. They are normally made from Lignum Vitae although nowadays they are getting made from aluminium. maybe find a nice peice of hard wood and get someone to turn you one on a lathe.

As for bone folders/slickers. Go to the butcher, get some nice sized/shaped bones and throw them outside (away from the flea bags) and let the ants clean them up. When devoured of flesh you they can be polished up nicely.

Barra