There is a master holster Maker in Texas who puts a grove, or a crease around his belt loops on his holsters. His name is Tucker. The groves look great and I wanted to do the same. I tried using the adjustable creaser, a stich Grover, even tried to turn over a French skier without success. I even sent him an email and asked him how he did it. His reply was, "good luck." I was surprised at his response; I would gladly help any leather worker that would ask me for help, or to share an idea!

Does anyone know how he does it...and will you share your method?

I just had a look at Tuckers website, his pictures are REAL small, but I think I got the idea of what you are looking to do.

I just tried this on a piece of 2/3 oz veg tan:

Wetted the leather and using a straight edge (credit card was handy) I used an old ball point pen that had no ink left, it made a real nice groove, just ran the point of the pen back and forth to attain a deeper look.

I'd upload a picture, but the camera is at the shop.

Hope this helps....

Hey, welcome back Beaverslayer!!!

To Old Dude:

It isn't really surprising at the reaction. You are asking him how he makes one of the details that help sell his holsters. To him, you're asking him to tell you how to make things like he does...which could very possibly cut into his profits. You may or may not be making holsters, but you're still asking how to do something (for free) that he uses to put money in his pocket.

However.....Tucker Gun Leather isn't the only player in the game, nor is he the grand poobah of leather work.

Look into beader blades (and other tools for making a bead edge). You can also try the cheaper method. Get a screen repair tool from the local hardware store....the one with wheels on both ends. One is convex, the other is concave, and it's used to push the beading into the channel around a window or door. Yep, that tool. Now that you've got the tool, lightly roll the convex wheel on the leather to mark some lines. Cut the lines you marked with a swivel knife and roll the convex wheel over the cuts with medium pressure.

Or you could just get a beader blade...

This should also help: http://leatherworker.net/beaderblade.pdf

Oh, and as an aside....yes, I will help people when I can and share knowledge to help them learn about working leather. However, there ARE some things I keep to myself. So I understand both sides of the issue. It isn't about being stingy with what I know. It's about keeping a little niche for me, so that I can have something that I do better than most...which gives me an edge in competition.

Thank you both for your imput; however, I don't have any problem making the straight creases on either side of the belt loop; what I can't seem to do successfully is, to connect the two outside creases by a half circle on the top and bottom of the loop. In other words...connecting the two straight outside the loops by creating an arch crease on top and the bottom of the loop to connect the two straight creases on either side of the loop.

The simpelest way I've found to do this is with a Tandy adjustable stitch groover. The ones that carry the groover in the shaft of the tool and also come with a creasing bit. You can either make a groove or a crease and with a little practice you can go around the belt slots very nicely. On the arched ends you rotate the tool and the work piece at the same time. Takes a bit of practice on scrap but once you've got it then no problem. Quick and easy.

Thank you Denster.....I have attempted your suggestion many, many times. I think I just solves the problem. I used the creaser for the outside creases, then connected the two lines with a plastic template containing circles. It finally hit me that an arch is a half of a circle; therefore, I was finally successful connecting the two. After 4 practic runs... it started to look good! Whew, what a releaf maybe I can sleep tonight!

Don't get me wrong, those are fantastic holsters. But that seems like a lot of work for little gain. Either in function or aesthetics. But I generally stitch around my loops anyway. That said, I've been know to want to do things simply because I wanted too. With no thought to time invested of functionality. But I'm generally asking myself if a step is needed, not trying to add more. Good luck though.