Sign in to follow this  
lightingale

Most Economical Way To Buy Stamping Tools?

I'd like to get more into Sheridan style carving, but I only have the 5 basic stamping tools from Tandy plus a smooth beveler and pebble backgrounder. In order to get the most versatility, I'll need a lot of them in as many sizes as possible.

At my leather store of choice (Zelikovitz), all the tools are over $8 even with my club discount. I've been watching ebay for the last month, but haven't had much luck there either, price-wise. I'm told to avoid the ones from Tandy for quality issues.

Is there an economical way to buy a lot of stamp tools?

Barry King might do a discount on the recommended set, but you are still looking at about $20-25 per tool. Unfortunately there's no cheap way to get good tools :( With BKs, at least you won't waste money on bad tools just to replace them in a year's time.

The absolite rock bottom cheapest would be the hobby Crafttools. Those are probobly what you are seeing for $7 - $8. Just pick them up one or two a month.Just understand that you will probobly be replacing the ones you use regularly fairly soon. As Chavez said, the good stamping tools run $25+ on the cheap side.

http://stleather.com/

If you get more than 10 tools they cost 4.09 each (Craft Japan). I use to buy from them when I lived in the US and I had no problems with them (there is one thread in the forum with some complaints about them). I always called them on the phone directly.

Edited by Tina

Thanks for the tips!

I didn't know about Barry King tools until this thread. Wow, that line has many beautiful stamps that I've never even heard about! I think someday I definitely want to order some of those... but only after enough experience with the cheap ones to know which stamps I use most.

Thanks for the link, Tina. They look like a great place to get a starter collection. Over time I can replace the ones I wear out with the Barry King tools.