Sign in to follow this  
Killzone2kX

My First Holster - Suggestions Welcome

I have been working with leather for a short time now ( about 3 months), and this is the first holster that I have tackled. Any suggestions for things I could have done better are welcome. This is my first post as well and I have to say this forum is a great help!

c3_holster.jpg

c3_holster_1.jpg

c3_holster_2.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Not bad at all for a first holster.

A couple of critiques:

The stitching looks a bit awkward. I'm guessing you hand stitched, but it looks like you either didnt groove for them , or the groove was very shallow. The spacing between each stitch varies a bit as well.

The leather was cut a bit long, thats OK and can easily be corrected on your next one.

Surprised to not see some sort of leather between you and the safety lever.

All together not a bad holster at all though, much better than my first one for sure! Keep it up!

The belt is very cool looking. Is that your work as well?

The stitching looks a bit awkward. I'm guessing you hand stitched, but it looks like you either didnt groove for them , or the groove was very shallow. The spacing between each stitch varies a bit as well.

The stitching was done without a groover or stitching wheel because I didnt have them at the time. I have both now and they will be used with all my future projects. I spaced the holes by hand.

Surprised to not see some sort of leather between you and the safety lever.

My original design had a sweat shield, but I got in a hurry when cutting out my leather and ended up not re-cutting the back piece. I will have one on future holsters.

The belt is very cool looking. Is that your work as well?

The belt is not my work. It was just used because i thought it gave a nice look to the photo. The mag pouch was my work however.

Thanks for the feedback!

In the design phase of your next one, bring the stitch lines in a little closer to the gun. Half the width of the slide, plus the thickness of the leather - that's all the space you need.

Burnish the BEJEEZUS out of the reinforcement piece BEFORE you stitch it on, because it's the last chance you'll get to do it right.

Throw in some CURVES, man! While the holster looks nice, it's a mite squarish.

You did a fine job of molding.

For a first holster, that's downright awesome!

Pretty much what's already been said- bring the stitch lines in much closer to the gun, stitching consistency, and the overall length. I'll also add 'finish the edges'. Looks good for a first....somebody must've been reading up on holster making.

I like the mag pouch. I haven't quite qrapped my head around how you get the rounded edges at the bottom to line up correctly when the front is obviously a larger piece of leather than the back, allowing room for the mag. You did good. With a stitck wheel and groover, you'll be amazed how much more professional your work will appear.

I like the mag pouch. I haven't quite qrapped my head around how you get the rounded edges at the bottom to line up correctly when the front is obviously a larger piece of leather than the back, allowing room for the mag. You did good. With a stitck wheel and groover, you'll be amazed how much more professional your work will appear.

For the mag pouch the top piece of leather was molded before gluing or stitching. Once I had the shape cut for the back piece I glued the molded front piece onto the back. I then trimmed the excess following the lines of the back piece, and finally did the stitching.

Burnish the BEJEEZUS out of the reinforcement piece BEFORE you stitch it on, because it's the last chance you'll get to do it right.

I realized that after it was done. Wont happen again, lol.

Looks good for a first....somebody must've been reading up on holster making.

I did a lot of looking through designs and techniques before I started. This forum helped alot.

Thanks for the feedback!

Good job. Way better than my first holster. You have gotten a lot of good feed back for future holsters. But I would like to emphasize, you have a good usable holster right now.

You also have a real knack for photography.

My first one didnt even look like a holster. Be proud of that one, my friend.

Good job. Way better than my first holster. You have gotten a lot of good feed back for future holsters. But I would like to emphasize, you have a good usable holster right now.

Thanks!

You also have a real knack for photography.

Thanks. It's one of my other hobbies which happens to cross over very well into leather work.

Killzone2kX:

I'm parked in my RV for the summer just down I-65 from you at Mammoth Cave Nat'l Park. I'd be more than happy to show you how I do things in ways that might help you. You're more than welcome to come down. Give me a shout if you're interested.

Killzone2kX:

I'm parked in my RV for the summer just down I-65 from you at Mammoth Cave Nat'l Park. I'd be more than happy to show you how I do things in ways that might help you. You're more than welcome to come down. Give me a shout if you're interested.

If you haven't already, you should take advantage of this offer. Opportunities like this don't come around very often.

Very nice of you, Kevin!