Sign in to follow this  
Aggiebraider

Making My First Rawhide

Howdy everyone,

So a student of mine brought me a hide off a steer that was slaughtered by her dad this weekend and I completely forgot she was bringing it lol. I wasnt prepared with a fleshing beam or a barrel for the hot water hair slip technique, so Im kinda stuck. My question is, how long can the hide be left alone before its ruined? The hide isnt too bad, but it will need some fleshing. I tried to get some off by just laying it on the drive way, but that wore my back and legs out too fast being crouched down over it. I should be able to get the beam made tomorrow, but not 100% sure. I dont think that it would sit for more than 24 hours, but it might, so I thought Id post here and make sure it would still work. I hung it on the back yard fence to hopefully keep the critters from getting to it, so hopefully that wont hurt it too much as well.

Thanks for any advice you can give,

CW

Throw it in a trough or barrel of fresh water and get your beam ready. It shouldn't hurt anything and will bring back the moisture to flesh it. Then it will be ready to put in a stretcher or whatever your next step is. Brad

I just finished my first hide as well, as I don't have much advice the only thing I would say is make sure ur frame ur stretching on will support the shrinking of hide later as it dries. I underestimated the shrinkage. The frame I put together, that booger was in a bind from the moment I started, it didnt give the support i needed for the maximum stretch and made my hide kind warp/bubble up from lack of tension I'm guessing still turned out good but that's bout all I can say on that, good luck

Josh