Sign in to follow this  
esantoro

time for a Dremel?

Since I don't have a benchtop sander/grinder and don't really have the space for one, I think it's time to buy a Dremel.

Would the 300 model be sufficient, or is this an old model?

ed

ED: Is the 300 a variable speed? Variable speed is a definite plus. I have a model 395, & that is, I guess, obsolete now, but it does a fine job for what I use it for. It's variable speed, up to 35000 rpm, & I use it with small burnishing wheels, cutoff wheels, polishing wheels, etc. If you really need a benchtop sander, a dremel may or may not be right for you. As I said, it is an extremely useful tool, but if you need the raw power & torque of a sander/grinder, a dremel can't do that. An example: Tandy just did away with their 2 & 3 lb rawhide/poly maul combos. I picked up a nice 2 lb maul combo & installed the poly head on the leather handle. I used a grade 8 bolt, installed the rawhide head & put a lot of leather punched-out disks on the bolt to make the handle. I worked the disks down on a 1" belt sander to form a very nice, tapered handle. A dremel would have not been able to perform that function. Again, the question is, what do you need it for? If you need to change a lightbulb, you're not gonna use a hammer.

Ed, I bought the 400XPR Kit from Dremel 3 years ago for $249.00 Canadian. Back then that would have been about $150 USD. I'm pretty sure you can pick one up for much cheaper now. It has all the attachments you'd ever need for leatherwork and then some. It is variable speed and has the Flex shaft as well.

I just found this link $109 USD for the 400XPR

Ken

I'd be using the dremel for slightly rounding edges of leather, for which I had been using sandpaper. Also for burnishing in tight spots, modifying sewing machine presser feet, who knows what else.

Thanks for your help. I think the 400 is the way to go.

Is it possible to get a guide attachment that allows you to use the Dremel as an engraver. I've had some requests for engraved initials on brass plates on my briefcases.

Yes I believe you can. Home Depot Lowes and Ace Hardware have almost all the attachments you can get and they had a free catolog by the company the last time I was at the depot.

It seems like I would need to get a special engraving bit and template so might as well just get this Dremel engraver, which comes with both:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Sealed-Dremel-1-5-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Are there other engraving templates out there that would work well? I think the one that comes with the Dremel engraver is probably more for identifying possessions rather than anything aesthetic.

ed

if memory serves correct...the "engraving template" is just a stencil to make engraving letters and numbers easier...if you're just "freehand" engraving (which i assume you would be) then they have a multitude of different engraving bits for different width lines and different shapes etc..and most standard engraver points will fit in a dremel chuck anyway (same with most small drill bits)...the "engraver kit" also doesn't seem to be variable speed...just variable depth...which is something you can control with your hand anyway (especially with the flex shaft...basically makes the bit work like a pen)

i'm with the others that you'll get the most bang for your buck looking for one that's variable speed....i'm sure if you ever wanted to work on leather with the thing that you'd want to be able to make it spin rellatively slowly at some point

ED: Is the 300 a variable speed? Variable speed is a definite plus. I have a model 395, & that is, I guess, obsolete now, but it does a fine job for what I use it for. It's variable speed, up to 35000 rpm, & I use it with small burnishing wheels, cutoff wheels, polishing wheels, etc. If you really need a benchtop sander, a dremel may or may not be right for you. As I said, it is an extremely useful tool, but if you need the raw power & torque of a sander/grinder, a dremel can't do that. An example: Tandy just did away with their 2 & 3 lb rawhide/poly maul combos. I picked up a nice 2 lb maul combo & installed the poly head on the leather handle. I used a grade 8 bolt, installed the rawhide head & put a lot of leather punched-out disks on the bolt to make the handle. I worked the disks down on a 1" belt sander to form a very nice, tapered handle. A dremel would have not been able to perform that function. Again, the question is, what do you need it for? If you need to change a lightbulb, you're not gonna use a hammer.

What attachments do you use for burnishing?

What attachments do you use for burnishing?

Fishguy: My son picked up a set of burnishers for me from someone when he belonged to IILG. They fit my dremel & I use them all the time. I don't have a clue who makes them, but if there are members out there who do belong to IILG, they could steer you in the right direction. You could also possibly make your own out of a piece of dowel counted on dremel's sanding drum shaft & then use a file to work a groove or series of grooves around it to use for burnishing.

Whinewine: Could you show us some pictures of that burnisher? By the way how loud is the Dremel 400? I stopped using my handheld drill for burnishing because the noise was just too much. Now I use, at the recommendation of others, a drill press....very good move.

Whinewine: Could you show us some pictures of that burnisher? By the way how loud is the Dremel 400? I stopped using my handheld drill for burnishing because the noise was just too much. Now I use, at the recommendation of others, a drill press....very good move.

[/quote

Ed: I'm a computer dunce. I'd have to wait for my son to come in from out of town to take pics & post them. They're actually a set of 3 burnishers, each with a different sized groove.

I don't know how loud the 400 is, mine is the 395. And it's pretty quiet, except at top speed (35000rpm). You rarely run it at top speed, though, especially for leather. I usually run it at the low end & that's very quiet. Suggestion is to try out the 400 & see what you think (gosh, have someone at a store run one for you over the phone at various speeds if you can't listen to one locally). I couldn't do without one. I've used an older model to drill holes for sewing when I was making leathergoods on a production line basis back in the '70s (things like goatskin knapsacks, tomahawk covers & frizzen covers).

Weaver leather has 2 different styles of burnisher (each with a series of different sized grooves) that chuck into a standard drill press. One is plastic, the other is wood. I've heard that they break (as per some earlier posts on this forum). I don't know, I've never used them.

russ

Lee Valley Tools [ www.leevalley.com ] has a 75th anniversary dremel special: a 400 XPR 75 piece tool kit, including an engraver in addition to the xpr 400 for $109. That is a pretty good deal from what I can determine. I just got this in my email bin.

russ

thanks for the help in persuedung me to get a dremel. It's a great little tool.

Does anyone happen to know if there is an attachment that would let me use the Dremel to trim my 1/8" thick aluminum templates, or maybe some other tool that would allow me to saw sheet aluminum precisely?

ed

There is an attachment that is like a mini circular saw that would work for straight cuts with a metal cutting blade, also an attachment that is like a router base that may be good for curves.

Just a word about the dremel, if you're planning to use it daily you may want to find something else. I have gone through 3 dremels over the years. I used them for cutting and shaping aluminum and brass and they could not handle it. I didn't use them everyday either mostly weekend use. after burning out the third one I bought an extension that I can attach to my drill press or buffer or any variable speed tool with a chuck. It has lasted through much more use than the dremel ever could.

just my .02

John

Just a word about the dremel, if you're planning to use it daily you may want to find something else. I have gone through 3 dremels over the years. I used them for cutting and shaping aluminum and brass and they could not handle it. I didn't use them everyday either mostly weekend use. after burning out the third one I bought an extension that I can attach to my drill press or buffer or any variable speed tool with a chuck. It has lasted through much more use than the dremel ever could.

just my .02

John

There's also the foredom. It's used by many engravers & is also used by those who engrave gemstones.

Lee Valley Tools [ www.leevalley.com ] has a 75th anniversary dremel special: a 400 XPR 75 piece tool kit, including an engraver in addition to the xpr 400 for $109. That is a pretty good deal from what I can determine. I just got this in my email bin.

russ

I just saw the same setup at Lowes yesterday for $89.