msdeluca

Upgrade Cowboy Cb3200 Edge Guide - Modification

I was having a real problem with the Cowboy CB3200 edge guide. I believe it was designed for the CB4500 which has a slightly different casting in the cylinder arm.

The problem:

The thumbwheel tightens from the bottom and the thumbwheel comes into contact with the cylinder arm casting which limits the edge guide to about 1/2". I usually set my edge stitching from 1/4" - 5/16". The edge guide comes with a wing nut which allows for a closer setting, but is extremely hard to tighten; one of those things that you need three hands for and it also hits the cylinder arm casting.

Edge_Guide_Mod_01.jpg

The Solution:

Ordered a few parts from McMaster-Carr and problem solved. Now I can adjust the guide bearing right up to the front walking foot and can easily lock it down from the top. It cost me about $25.

I did a full write-up complete with parts list at: http://conceptleather.blogspot.com/2014/12/upgrade-cb3200-edge-guide.html

Edge_Guide_Mod_11.jpg

Edge_Guide_Mod_13.jpg

Hope this helps,

Mike

Edited by msdeluca

I just filed the flats on the bolt almost full depth of the shoulder and turned it over . Does the same thing and no parts to buy.

Sure wish you had posted that when I was trying to figure this out.

You'll still need the 5/16" washer to compress the spring washer if you want the ability to swing the guide bearing away from the work without losing the adjustment... but that's only 15 cents.

I just filed the flats on the bolt almost full depth of the shoulder and turned it over . Does the same thing and no parts to buy.

Sweet! I'm ordering the parts today. This is the way the edge guide should be made for the CB3200, the wing nut arrangement is pretty lame......

Thanks!

JW

I'm confused, did they change the guide. I bought my machine in the summer and it came with a guide that has the knurled knob on top or at least that's the way I installed it, and it works perfectly and will go all the way to the needle if you want.

Chief

post-6362-0-70419800-1417887121_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-65553300-1417887128_thumb.jp

Chief,

Can you take the bolt out and take a picture of the parts?

Mike

Chief did you get yours from Toledo? Bobby must have done the file work for you that is who told me how to do it

Chief,

Can you take the bolt out and take a picture of the parts?

Mike

Pictures attached.

Chief did you get yours from Toledo? Bobby must have done the file work for you that is who told me how to do it

I did get it from Bob and Bobby, when I took it out to take the pictures, it does look like someone Filed the sides down, works great.

Chief

post-6362-0-76511400-1417893470_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-22757200-1417893477_thumb.jp

Can't see much from these pic. but if you put the plastic washer then the spring washer next to the bolt head you can swing away without losing the adjustment.

post-35600-0-20939000-1417900455_thumb.j

post-35600-0-93465000-1417900508_thumb.j

post-35600-0-60219100-1417900557_thumb.j

post-35600-0-98975700-1417900610_thumb.j

post-35600-0-94568700-1417900653_thumb.j

post-35600-0-80474300-1417900712_thumb.j

Thanks Chief and PCOX for putting up the photos. I would think you'd have best results on maintaining adjustment if you use the compression spring in the top position rather than the bottom as the piece was designed. It would work with the way your guides were modified by adding a 5/16" washer above the spring washer. It will keep side play to a minimum.

If I'd thought of filing the sides of the original bolt, I'd probably have done it, but I do like the finished look of the way I did mine. I find the stainless thumbwheel purchased from McMaster to be less wobbly (threads cut more accurately). I upgraded the adjustment hardware using this same wheel on a Heritage type splitter and the accuracy of of the adjustment is noticeably better. I'll have to put up a thread on that.

Edge_Guide_Mod_09.jpg

Edge_Guide_Mod_10.jpg

I don't have any trouble with mine, it's solid as a rock. I sew guitar straps and belts all the time and have never had it lose adjustment. It doesn't move, I did add a washer between the roller end and the arm to drop it down a little for when I sew thinner leathers.

Chief