rnabholz

Leatherman And Flashlight Pocket Sheath

Really like to carry a Leatherman all the time, but not comfortable with a case on my belt, and the thought of having it grind on the other things in my pocket all day made the obsessive/compulsive side of me cringe....

So I decided I would see what I could do by way of a pocket sheath. Haven't done any leather work since what could only be charitably described as "primitive" buckskinner stuff 35 years ago as a teenager.

But a few You Tube videos, Ebay orders for leather and tools and a couple of nights work, and here it is:

pocketsheathin.jpg

pocketsheathout.jpg

As you can see made room for my Fenix LD01 flashlight as well

The leather was Latigo, about 3.5mm thick, and it put up a pretty good fight. Probably have more marks on it than someone more experienced would have ended up with, but this was my first attempt at wet forming.

Hand stiched using two needle saddle stitch. Need to find some smaller needles, it was a bit of a struggle at times.

Just burnished the edges, trying to decide if I want to dye them or do some other edge treatment.

Added a copper tag that I pounded out of some scrap copper.

Overall I am pleased with it. Some things I would like to have another crack at, straighter cuts and stitiching, fewer forming marks, etc, but, it should do the job just fine and I learned a lot that will help on future work.

Would be glad to have your comments and suggestions,

Thanks

Rod

It turned out very nice and clean. I'm sure it'll serve you well for a long time.

Yes, nice job

Very nice! I like it.

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by Chris B

Uh oh, now you are in trouble

A leather addiction starts innocently enough, just a few projects here and there no biggie, you can handle it

then whammo you are spending all your free time on a website, buying tools and supplies staying up late at night on weekends making bags

Sad really, another life lost to addiction

Great sheath looking sheath by the way

Thank you WScott.

I fear you are right, find myself making plans to get the next indispensable item and planning the next projects... I will try not to spend the rent money. ;^)

You did a great job. I especially like the design; how you incorporated the copper plate - it brings balance and visual focus to the sheath.

Thanks Bob.

I had originally considered dropping the flashlight down and trimming top to follow. But. I have recently playing around with copper and saw an opportunity to bring the two together.

Glad you like it.

Thanks for the response.

Edited by rnabholz

It looks great.