Ryan Barto

Dye Fur?

Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to dye fur? I'm mainly looking at dyeing rabbit fur to black. Has anyone had any experience with this that they could share? I was thinking of trying either Rit fabric dye or hair dye, but I'm not sure if either will work.

Thanks.

I have used Rit dye on Isalndic Sheep. I dyed white to orange and it worked very well. The only problem was that it made the skin hard and stiff.

Hope this helps!

Casey,

What in the world did you do with an orange Islandic sheep!?

Surely not a pair of woolies?

Casey,

What in the world did you do with an orange Islandic sheep!?

Surely not a pair of woolies?

As a matter of fact, Yes! I had two orders for miniature batwing spotted pinto woolies, white with orange spots. And like most orders finished "just in time", I didn't get pictures of them.

Ryan,

Let us all know how you decide to do your dieing and how it turns out.

Edited by Casey Jordan

As a matter of fact, Yes! I had two orders for miniature batwing spotted pinto woolies, white with orange spots. And like most orders finished "just in time", I didn't get pictures of them.

Ryan,

Let us all know how you decide to do your dieing and how it turns out.

Thanks for the info, I'll let everyone know how it goes. I'm sure it'll be awhile until I can get the funds for this project, but once it's done, I'll post pictures and info on the fur.

Thanks for the info, I'll let everyone know how it goes. I'm sure it'll be awhile until I can get the funds for this project, but once it's done, I'll post pictures and info on the fur.

You might consider contacting Dharma Trading Company too. They specialize in much better quality dyes than Rit and have been in the business for many years. Someone at Dharma should be able to offer advice on which of their dyes might work for your application. The black Rit dye is notoriously bad ending up blue and spotty frequently.

Occasionally we hear, regarding leather dyes, that we can get a deeper black by dying first in Navy or Green.

Go ahead and try the same thing with these dyes.