Sign in to follow this  
brock

making a floppy hackamore

Has anyone used leather belting for a core of hackamore? Its going to be 1/2 in 16 plait latigo and i've never heard of any made like that. Ive heard of peop using soft nylon rope for a core but wanted to know if they will shape and function correct? I always use some type of rawhide either twisted or braided. any help would be appreciated!!!!

Has anyone used leather belting for a core of hackamore? Its going to be 1/2 in 16 plait latigo and i've never heard of any made like that. Ive heard of peop using soft nylon rope for a core but wanted to know if they will shape and function correct? I always use some type of rawhide either twisted or braided. any help would be appreciated!!!!

i have made a couple of bosals using used lariat rope for cored the final feel is like a nice soft breaking hackamore. not as soft as a grass rope hack but alot softer than rawhide cored hacks

266.JPGHere is where I'm at with the floppy hackamore. I decided to go with a stiff nylon rope for a core (will let ya'll know if it shapes rite)! Anyway just thought I would post some pics of progress It is 12 plait 3/16 wide body strings and nose button is 8 bight with 3/32 wide strings im going to try to make a pretty fancy nose button on here! Or atleast fancy for me Ill post pics of progress! That is why im using the wrapping method rather than the braided for foundation!

post-7545-126498412973_thumb.jpg

{option}http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb229/brockadams/rawhide/P2050543.jpg[/img]

this is the foundation finished just have to add my color im going to use rawhide to contrast and so it has a little feel to it. Just playing around to try some diff things on this one!!

P2120686.jpg

this is the nosebutton it got a twist in it I rember why I quit using that spiral method because it always twist on one end with me! I still have some more work finishing it but that is where I am with it just thought i would put up some pics. Maybe some of you guys can give me some pointers to do a better job on next one!