Ok, can't quite figure this one out. Is there any way this will work or will the antique always rub off?

I've applied an antique and rubbed it off good for about 5 minutes to make sure all the excess was taken off. I let the piece rest for at least 24 hours so it dries. Today, I put some leather balm with atom wax (neutral color) on it, being careful not to rub too hard. The applicator came out brownish from it Uh? :huh: I figured, ok, so it diluted the top surface of the antique. I let it dry and when I went to buff it up later, I got a little bit of brown (really not a lot, but still) on my rag :wtf: ... Applied another coat of leather balm, let dry, rubbed to a shine, same thing :blink: Is there any way the color from the antique will eventually stop rubbing off? :head_hurts_kr:

I love the finish of the leather balm and I'm totally no good with resolene, keep getting streaks no matter how hard I try to put a light even coat of it. Anyone who can help, please? I'm kinda desperate here :(

I hate to be the bad news bear, but Leather Balm will not prevent the dye from rubbing off. The only suggestion I have is to top coat it with satin sheen, and see if you still get rub off.

I know what you mean about the finishe leather balm gives. I love it myself, but it's not intended for rub-off prevention or repelling water.

Marlon

Bummer :(

Never tried the satin shene. Does it give a finish like or close to the leather balm? I see on the Tandy website that it's the new one, water based Eco-Flo. Will it be somewhat water resistant or will it run off if the thing gets wet?

It will run. :( go with the Fiebing's Acrylic Resolene or Neatlac. Both work well.

Ok, can't quite figure this one out. Is there any way this will work or will the antique always rub off?

I've applied an antique and rubbed it off good for about 5 minutes to make sure all the excess was taken off. I let the piece rest for at least 24 hours so it dries. Today, I put some leather balm with atom wax (neutral color) on it, being careful not to rub too hard. The applicator came out brownish from it Uh? :huh: I figured, ok, so it diluted the top surface of the antique. I let it dry and when I went to buff it up later, I got a little bit of brown (really not a lot, but still) on my rag :wtf: ... Applied another coat of leather balm, let dry, rubbed to a shine, same thing :blink: Is there any way the color from the antique will eventually stop rubbing off? :head_hurts_kr:

I love the finish of the leather balm and I'm totally no good with resolene, keep getting streaks no matter how hard I try to put a light even coat of it. Anyone who can help, please? I'm kinda desperate here :(

Myriam- when you antiqued and rubbed it- use a shirt or paper towel and rub it off the top in all directions. Then take a sheep scrap and go over it lightly in a circular motion to get the thick gunk out of the grooves. I said lightly but I rub hard enough to get the amount I want left in the cracks. You;ll be amazed on how good it looks to get almost all of it off leaving nice dark pockets(thumbprints) and decorative cuts filled and nothing else..

Then take a paper towel and rub the heck out of it for a beautiful shoe shine like finish. Then use KIWI neutral shoe polish and you're done.

ps- I wait for 5 minutes tops(because I'm impatient by then) after the initial rubbing, then the sheepskin and have never had antique rub off

pete

Edited by pete

Tazzmann - Thanks for your reply. That's what I was afraid of (darn laws...). Unfortunately, I'm no good with Resolene and I've heard that the fumes from the Neat Lac are pretty bad. I live in an apartment so I'm pretty limited in terms of a well ventilated area, especially this time of the year.

Pete - Rubbed the antique out as much as I could. I, too, like to see the fine details it makes stand out. I guess it's just the nature of the antique and the leather balm mixing together somehow. Now, about that neutral shoe polish, why didn't I think of that? Thanks a million, Pete. Will go to the store tomorrow and get me some of that. Come to think of it, I might even have some here for my shoes *goes off rummaging in her closet*