Sign in to follow this  
Randy Cornelius

Monte Forman Ballanced Ride Saddle

I thought I would post some pictures of a Monte Forman Ballanced Ride saddle that came in for repair. You don't see too many of these anymore, they came out in about 1954 and started in the Falls Saddle shop but several saddle makers and saddle companies produced them under the Monte Forman name for several years. They became very popular in the 70's and 80's as I recall. I had one for a time but traded it many years ago. I am not sure if they are still made or not, maybe someone else has more info on them. Anyway they are kinda different so I thought I would post some pictures for those who may have never seen one. This way you can ID one if you come across one. The main thing is these saddles have a swivel, two piece stirrup leather. You can see by the photo the swivel just under the front jocky. Then there is another short stirrup leather that goes over the tree and then is secured by a small metal "L" shaped bracket or hardware piece. When pulled tight this bracket prevents the leather from coming out of the tree and is what is used to adjust the stirrup length along with the leather coming from the swivel. The main thing that these saddles do that most will not is they have a great amount of stirrup movement. You can touch the neck all the way back to the tail on a horse with your boot and never take it from the stirrup.

Be glad to answer any questions I can.

Randy

Sorry about posting this twice, don't know what happened.

Monte_Forman_Saddle_001.jpg

Monte_Forman_Saddle_002.jpg

Monte_Forman_Saddle_003.jpg

Monte_Forman_Saddle_004.jpg

Monte_Forman_Saddle_005.jpg

post-62-1247394830_thumb.jpg

post-62-1247394843_thumb.jpg

post-62-1247394856_thumb.jpg

post-62-1247394869_thumb.jpg

post-62-1247394881_thumb.jpg

Edited by Randy Cornelius

I don't know why I get the feeling the leathers have been jerry-rigged. The Monte Foreman was based on the Slim Fallis balanced ride saddle. Some of the leathers do not appear to be original. Just my take on this.

I used to have one of those and that's the way I remember the stirrup leathers being rigged. It does look like new leathers but I think they were put in the same way they came. the other thing about those saddles is that the stirrup leathers are hung further forward. Mine was comfortable, but if I wanted to put my horse into a long trot and cover some ground I found it hard to stand in my stirrups, couldn't keep my legs under me. Chris

I don't know why I get the feeling the leathers have been jerry-rigged. The Monte Foreman was based on the Slim Fallis balanced ride saddle. Some of the leathers do not appear to be original. Just my take on this.

Yes, I replaced the leathers with new, just as the orginal were.

Randy

What troubles me is this rigging is designed to damage the saddle. Look at the abrasion to the leather holding the ring. Also putting a large bolt or screw into the tree would weaken the tree. I'd also be concerned that the metal bar that's running under the tree is causing some damage, either to the rawhide or the skirts. Over the years various stirrup adjusters have been used and I think the bar with the slots would work but much closer to the stirrup where a slide adjustment or buckle would be.

Ummm, I did a lot of research after my tongue rattled in my head. Mr. John Fallis was gracious enough to email a lengthy explanation of the stirrup system. I get to eat crow and just have to decide how to prepare it.