Sign in to follow this  
pete

Like my meandering border?

I know that this is not new (to me at least) but I tooled a little pattern and dyed it with a sharpie.

What do you all think about the meandering border?

P1010002.JPG

post-520-1191531425_thumb.jpg

That looks good Pete.

I've taken to using a lined thumbprint on my leaves, just to add a bit of variety. Which I think that it looks kinda cool, but that's just personal opinion.

You might see if you can find a sharpie with a finer point for the tight places. But other than that, you've got a very well done, dynamic border.

Spencer

Thanks Spencer. I usually use a thumbprint but I was in a hurry to see how it came out. I only spent about 20 minutes on the whole thing!

Sharpies are looking better and better to me instead of dye. Do you use one and how do you keep the color bright. I used a blocker but the antique darkened it anyway. Do I need to really put the RTD or neatlac on really heavy?

Pete,

I haven't used a sharpie for background coloring yet, but I plan to do some experimenting. Until then, however, the only advice I can give is through observation and speculation. When you say that "the antique darkened it", do you mean the background?

Spencer

The antique really darkened the sharpie as well as the dyes that I usually use. I guess that I'll have to dilute it a lot before dying. The green on the belt(not sharpie but dye) that I just finished turned out great but the green is only visible in strong daylight!

By the way- in an earlier post I mentioned a trick that I say from Chan Geer. He pear shades the project then goes over it all again with one quick whack of the thumbprint. I really like the effect! It looks so much better than pounding the thumbprint to get the depth you want.

It just takes a second and the one hit with the thumbprint leaves a really clean look.

Try it

pete

um....wha's a "thumbprint?"

tia

--Phil

it's a pear shader but long and narrow and lined vertically or horizontally. It's the little ribbed look that you see in most Sheridan carvings. Look closely at the leaf tips and you'll see

pete