Sign in to follow this  
Matthew S

First Leatherworking Project

Just completed my first leatherworking project and although it is not perfect, I am happy with the end results. More importantly I had a great time and am looking forward to doing some more projects.

My first project was a checkbook case kit from Tandy, Instead of carving the provided pattern I decided to try something different.

Some of the difficulties I experienced:

• The lettering didn't come out as clean as I would have liked. A clearer stencil, slower hand and smaller knife would probably have improved things.
  • The stain came out much darker than on the test piece I tried it on. I would have liked a bit lighter, but I am not unhappy.
  • A section of the leather's surface or perhaps the finish came off while I was rubbing the dried finish. I suspect too much elbow grease was applied, but their may be other contributing factors.
  • The guts of the kit didn't quite line up perfect with the outer leather cover. I tried assembling it different ways for the best fit, but ultimately I think is due to mass production and quality.
  • A small crack has developed along the spine...through the finish and dye.

Oddly enough, I think my favorite part of the entire process was the stitching (although without a pony my knees and hands did get a bit achy).

Matt

post-25163-001314400 1317919271_thumb.jp

Love the design!

heheh.. I enjoy humour in crafts and wish I was better at it myself

Natalie

That is really amusing and it is really cracking me up.

I haven't had much luck with getting things to line up with the Tandy checkbook kits either.