Jaymack

Poor Man's Burnishing Tool

I know that nobody drinks alcohol in this forum, but I made a bunishing tool using the cork from a bottle of wine. I had to upgrade from the twist-off caps from my normal bottle of Ripple that I drink to a fance bottle of wine to get a cork! The cork worked a lot better than I expected.

I inserted a screw, with some glue on it, into the center of the cork. The screw was the diameter needed to fit my dremel

Cut the head off the screw and sanded the metal to eliminate any sharp edges.

Put the screw and cork in my dremel and ran it through some sandpaper to help center it.

used a round file to create a slot in the cork.

sanded the slot with some 400 grit sandpaper

Used Bob Parks instructional on finishing edges.

I expect that the cork has a limited life span, but I'm sure I can force myself to drink another bottle of wine!

I will post a picture of the edges of the guitar strap I am working on once the dye is dry and I complete the project.

John

post-13092-036338900 1284921919_thumb.jp

Here's the example of the edges I did with the cork burnisher. This is the best picture I could generate with the cheap camera I have.

John

post-13092-039897500 1284929267_thumb.jp

Hey JayMac, seems to be a good idea. I'll have to get off the Double Barrel and get some more better wine too. It looks like it did a pretty good job. Thanks for sharing. Billy P

Here's the example of the edges I did with the cork burnisher. This is the best picture I could generate with the cheap camera I have.

John

Do you clamp the leather when you're using the Dremel on it, or do you hold the leather in one hand and the leather in the other?

I've been feeling like edge finishing would go better if I clamped it between 2 boards with just enough of the edge sticking out to get the edge done.

Being stationed in Italy I've gone through a great many corks. Now I have a reason to start keeping them...

Very innovative idea! Glad it worked! Using Bobby's ways will not send you down the wrong direction!

SimonJester,

I just held the leather in my left hand and the dremel in my right!

Rgarding the corks, are you talking the 'traditional' corks that come from oak tree bark? I haven't seen real cork in quite awhile. The corks that are in our local wineries bottles are more like rubber or plastic than a forest product.

Sparks

SimonJester,

I just held the leather in my left hand and the dremel in my right!

Edited by Sparks

I'm talking about out of the bottle wine corks. They are not rubber or plastic, but cork. See the photo I posted.

John

Edited by Jaymack

cool idea: :You_Rock_Emoticon: ... i think i'm gonna try it out later... just got to round up a cork... :head_hurts_kr: ... thanks for the idea...

eric

Edited by mugwump