Sign in to follow this  
Spidey2011

Python Inlay Owb

I decided to try my hand at inlaying python. What do you guys think?

From the old grump: Looks like you did things right good. Good burnishing on the inside of the 'window' (often overlooked), stitched down pretty uniformly around the edge, etc. I personally try not to get my inlay very far over onto the fold of the holster, and try to leave a bit more of the window showing all around. A wider 'frame' or 'window', sets the inlay off to a greater degree --- IMO. I also try to keep the inlay shape more in line with the holster design itself. Now I'm not in any way putting your work down, you did good, and your inlay design is what you like. My comments just go to my personal feel for the aesthetics rather than anything I feel should be improved upon in your workmanship. Here's a pic of a holster I did some time ago --- just to show you what I'm talking about. Overall --- you done damned good, especially if this is your first go at inlay work --- keep at it! Mike.

001-3-1.jpg

From the old grump: Looks like you did things right good. Good burnishing on the inside of the 'window' (often overlooked), stitched down pretty uniformly around the edge, etc. I personally try not to get my inlay very far over onto the fold of the holster, and try to leave a bit more of the window showing all around. A wider 'frame' or 'window', sets the inlay off to a greater degree --- IMO. I also try to keep the inlay shape more in line with the holster design itself. Now I'm not in any way putting your work down, you did good, and your inlay design is what you like. My comments just go to my personal feel for the aesthetics rather than anything I feel should be improved upon in your workmanship. Here's a pic of a holster I did some time ago --- just to show you what I'm talking about. Overall --- you done damned good, especially if this is your first go at inlay work --- keep at it! Mike.

Thank! I appreciate the input and I definitely agree about making the frame wider. I'm always happy to get some good advice from a seasoned leather worker.

Mike, would you be kinda grumpy enough to explain how you made this holster, or at least how the inlay front is constructed? I really like this one.

Does the yellow leather extend all he way to the front edges? Is it a pattern like a cowboy single action-type holster? Things like that...

Thanks,

Jake

001-3-1.jpg

OK, first the holster is considered to be a Mexican Skirt holster --I drew and modified this for the 1911 pistol. Here's a pic of basically the same style of holster, but done as an historically accurate one As a sideline, If you are really interested in holsters and how they progressed from the time of the civil war, up to the tail end of the 'golden age' of the movie shot-em-up westerns, get hold of the book "Packing Iron" by Rattenbury. To make the thing in question, I cut out the pattern from 4/5oz shoulder. Cut the 'window' in and burnish the edges of it. Dye the whole flushdingering thing. Cut the ostrich shin leather around 3/8" larger than the window -- all around. Glue that puppy in place and stitch it down (closely) around the edge of the window. Cut a mirror image of the pattern in 4/5oz shoulder, and use contact cement to stick the two flesh sides together -- right over the back side of the inlay.Burnish all edges except the welt. Start stitching all around except for the welt. Wet it down, fold where needed and let dry. Stitch the welt. Wet mold, trim, sand and burnish the welt Apply finish --Simple -- just takes a little time. Mike

003-6.jpg

Edited by katsass

Awesome, thanks!

Do you welt all holsters ? Pancake / IWB styles?

Jake

Edited by SooperJake

Awesome, thanks!

Do you welt all holsters ? Pancake / IWB styles?

Jake

No, very seldom do I insert a welt at all. Only when absolutely necessary. I call that edge the welt because it's the welt edge, and is better than calling it a seam. Mike

No, very seldom do I insert a welt at all. Only when absolutely necessary. I call that edge the welt because it's the welt edge, and is better than calling it a seam. Mike

What determines the need for a welt?

Sorry for all the questions.

Jake

I forgot to compliment you on this holster, Spidey..coOL!

Jake

What determines the need for a welt?

Sorry for all the questions.

Jake

Design