sunny275

Natural Finish

Hello, Im working on another holster. The guy wants a natural finish. All the work I have done has been dyed. Can you all tell me if im doing this right? I finish the holster....let it dry! put light coat of mink oil...let it dry....put on a finish...(atom wax or tan cote)....right?

If you want the leather to retain its natural color, I would be using (and do use) Bee's Natural Saddle oil. It will not darken the leather as neatsfoot and olive oil to a lesser extent. For a finish I use good old fashioned Neatlac, and not the spray version. It has been used on all kinds of leather for a long time including saddles. It can be purchased as "Clearlac" from Springfield Leather or Panhandle Leather in Amarillo, Texas. You will hear people complain about it cracking or being too shiny, but it is just because it isn't being rubbed in well, and applied too thick. I don't think you will get moisture protection from Tan Kote. Hope this helps.

Terry

Edited by terrymac

Hello, Im working on another holster. The guy wants a natural finish. All the work I have done has been dyed. Can you all tell me if im doing this right? I finish the holster....let it dry! put light coat of mink oil...let it dry....put on a finish...(atom wax or tan cote)....right?

Thanks Terry, well i went ahead and put a light coat of neatsfoot oil on it but have not done anything else.....what the suggestion for the next step?

If you are satisfied with the color, apply a light coat of Neatlac, rubbed in well. Let dry, and repeat a second light coat. Should be good to go.

Terry