Airin

Braid To Keep Beads In Place On A Leash

Hello,

I'm new here and new to braiding and am in the middle of learning how to braid dog leashes (I know I know..I've seen a lot of topics on this here, but none answer my question or don't do it clear enough xD) as mostly a hobby. I've already learnt how to braid a 4 strand braid and back-braid the handle and all and want to go to the next step of adding beads. My problem is, I don't seem to know which knot is used and if it is a separate knot attached to it or if it is made using the strands of the braid itself. I have some example photos of the knot I am asking about in specific, as it is fairly small and won't stick out next to the beads. I tried doing a half-hitch (or what I think was a half hitch) knot, and out of a few tries, one of them came out well enough, but I'm not sure if it is the same as the ones in these photos nor if I can replicate it again as I have failed after that and don't really know how to do it.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/600948_198483963606980_2134357075_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/532080_361468367258848_735397796_n.jpg

If anyone can help me out on telling me what these knots are and how I can do them on a 4 strand braid, I'd appreciate it!

This is just my opinion and I am only speaking for myself here. But I do not recomend putting beads on a leash in the fashion of the first photo. This will only serve to weaken the leash at those points. If you buy your beads with a big hole and put them on over the braid and hold them in place with a ring knot(tutorial), this will be better for the leash strength wise.

Brian...

I don't like that particular style of knot (all it is, I think, is an overhand knot using one strand of lace). The ring knots do work, however, because handlers tend to use the beads as "anchors", the beads will slide on the lead over time. Even if they are able to keep their hands off of the beads, the lead will stretch slightly over time, allowing the ring knots to loosen up slightly. I use terminal knots on each end of my bead sets and I have never had any issue with strength in my beaded leads.

Shannon

Thanks for both of your advise! Now, I am starting off by using nylon to learn with until I decide if I want to get into leather as well and would stretching and not braiding under the beads be as much of a problem as with leather?

I've looked up a tutorial for terminal knots and I tried it, but I don't think I did it right and I did find the tutorial a bit unclear for me (it may be more clear for someone more familiar with braids and knots?). Do you happen to know of any clear tutorials for terminal knots with 4 strands like what is used on these leashes?

That's a great tutorial. I'm fairly new at this, but I use that one - as it goes through the braid, I haven't found them to slip.