Sign in to follow this  
Big Papa Leather

Consew 18

I have a source for a Consew 18 Machine.

I know NOTHING about sewing machines.

Would this be a good starter machine?

Comes with a table and alot of accessories.

I would not be doing tack or heavy stuff. Max would be maybe 8-9 oz and a thin liner. Book covers, maybe a wallet or business card case, belts with a lining. Everyday type stuff.

Their asking price is $400.00

Any help?

Or maybe this offer I got on a Juki # DDL-555 $400.00

Are they comparable or is neither one a good buy?

Should I just forget both and look for something else?

Thanks

Allen

Edited by scissormedic

Allen,

I would stay away from those two machines. They are too much for one, also they are not walking feet machines. For that kind of stuff a Consew 226, Juki 563(big bobbin), Juki 562(small bobbin) will all work fine and all have reverse and are walking feet machines. They also have 1/2 in. lift. A Singer 111w155 will work fine also but does not have reverse.

Edited by ryano

I have a source for a Consew 18 Machine.

I know NOTHING about sewing machines.

Would this be a good starter machine?

Comes with a table and alot of accessories.

I would not be doing tack or heavy stuff. Max would be maybe 8-9 oz and a thin liner. Book covers, maybe a wallet or business card case, belts with a lining. Everyday type stuff.

Their asking price is $400.00

Any help?

Or maybe this offer I got on a Juki # DDL-555 $400.00

Are they comparable or is neither one a good buy?

Should I just forget both and look for something else?

Thanks

Allen

My thoughts, It will all depend on how much money you have to spend. The Juki 555 (early 80's) is probably alot newer than the consew 18. (early 60's machine). About 3/8" of lift as sews 5/16". You could change the needle system to a 135 X 16 and sew a little more but you would have to take out the upper tension release pin as well to sew maximum lift of the machine. Probably pushing the max with either one.

Like medic says, a walking foot is better, but they cost more too unless you can steal one somewhere. if toledo or some of the other sewing machines guys had a 400.00 walking foot like a consew 206, 226 or Juki LU-563, you would have probably got an email from one of them by now.

Thing to remember - check the RPMs of the motor when you look at used machines. You dont want a motor rated at 3450 RPM's if you can help it. It will run fast.

DC Servos are the only way to go and if you can, put a speedreducer on it for that extra slow speed. That will cost you another 2 to 3 hundred bucks but is worth every penny.

Goood Stitching

stitcher1