AlcoveShop

Singer 31-15 Needles...

Looking to bring out the old (laugh) workhorse for some of the stuff going on around here...

Anyone know a source for leahter needles for the Singer 31-15 machines?

Ive always used '69 threads but Ive been seeing alot of folk using 207 without a hitch- anyone have any info on needles?

Schmetz needles.

I use a size 110/18 , system 34 lr, 16x2 rtw , you can get these needles from many sources , randall, ferdco, just about any industrial sewing machine supply. I use 69 and 99 threads size, and can not imagine going much larger ,it is small machine for light work, .hope that helps.

Steve

You might have to set the shuttle needle alignment for using a 24 (180) or 25 (200) needle for 207 thread. You might get by with a 23 (160) but you will probably have to mess with it, it really wasn't made to sew that big. They also had 1/2 sizes in 22, 23, and 24. The navy used a lot of those machines and they almost always had 92 thread and a size 21 (130) or 22 (140) needle. You still see them in canvas shops, mostly as a backup machine to a Singer 111W155 (another Navy staple). The needle system on the 31-15 was usually 135X5 (or 16X87) but may be different for leather, I will check and let you know.

Art

Looking to bring out the old (laugh) workhorse for some of the stuff going on around here...

Anyone know a source for leahter needles for the Singer 31-15 machines?

Ive always used '69 threads but Ive been seeing alot of folk using 207 without a hitch- anyone have any info on needles?

Thanks for all the response folks... Just an update; I found right under my nose a few packages of needles, and fyi, 207 sews wonderful in this beast.

You might have to set the shuttle needle alignment for using a 24 (180) or 25 (200) needle for 207 thread. You might get by with a 23 (160) but you will probably have to mess with it, it really wasn't made to sew that big. They also had 1/2 sizes in 22, 23, and 24. The navy used a lot of those machines and they almost always had 92 thread and a size 21 (130) or 22 (140) needle. You still see them in canvas shops, mostly as a backup machine to a Singer 111W155 (another Navy staple). The needle system on the 31-15 was usually 135X5 (or 16X87) but may be different for leather, I will check and let you know.

Art

Any additional info will be helpful, nice to know alternatives...

When you use bigger thread, they sometimes skip when curving left, it pulls the thread away from the shuttle. A lot of them work fine though.

Art

Any additional info will be helpful, nice to know alternatives...

I am sewing leather on an old industrial Singer 31-15 sewing machine. I have purchased needles from the local singer shop and they keep breaking. I am also interested in what type of thread I should be using. I am very inexperience in sewing on this machine so any info will help. Thanks

I need help in finding what kind of leather needles to use on my industrial singer 31-15 sewing machine. I have been buying needles from the local singer shop but they keep breaking. I would also like information about thread to use. thanks.

I merged your topic with or into this one, read the other posts and tell us how we can help.

Art

I need help in finding what kind of leather needles to use on my industrial singer 31-15 sewing machine. I have been buying needles from the local singer shop but they keep breaking. I would also like information about thread to use. thanks.

I just picked up a 31-15 as well and need a manual, any sources?Dave

contact www.panhandleleather.com they have copies on a disk or they can print one off for you. They do charge but it isn't much.

Thank you. Dave

I just picked up a 31-15 as well and need a manual, any sources?Dave

Go to this site - http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/ - you will find manuals for 2-300 singer machines, all in PDF to file or print, no charge.

Ron

Edited by bigprairie

Hi DC,

The 111 and 31-15 as I said were used heavily in the Navy (and other forces), check out the following Technical Publication.

http://www.tpub.com/content/aviation/14217/css/14217_53.htm

Art

Thank you. Dave

Another source for manual is www.safemanuals.com

If they have your manual, you can download it for free