Hey folks,

I made a viking style leather helmut and I am applying the standard fake wool to it to help finish off the look. The helmut is made from 4-5oz vegtan and dyed (waterbased).

I had thought to put a 3 inch wide piece of the wool on the inside and fold an inch out. The leather rolled good before I glued the wool to it. In my zest to complete the project, I used a good amount of rubber cement to hold the wool on the inside and now that it has dried, IT WONT FOLD OUT....lol. The cemenet hardened or course.

I have adapted the plan a little and will just apply some of the wool to the outside with out rolling the leather. The hat will jsut be a lil taller then I planned.

What is the best thing to use to glue the wool to the vegtan? The rubber cement I used on the inside foamed and didnt really hold well.

Any ideas?

cal

Edited by calanneh

you should have used contact cement. rubber cement is more for a temperary bond.

you may want to scuff the leather a bit for a better bond

I have made several pairs of gauntlets and half chaps with Berber fleece (synthetic) overhanging as you are talking about... the Viking look. I don't rely on glue anymore. If I did it would be a strong flexible contact cement.

I always sew the fleece in. I have had glued fleece simply peel right off the leather in the course of its normal wear and tear. I had to redo a job because of it and I vowed never to have to do that again.

I will use contact cement or 3M High Strength 90 spray adhesive applied to both the leather and the fleece to bond it in the unsewn areas but thread always holds mine together. I sew it with a walking foot machine.

:cheers: