I just talked to a friend and he had a question about putting a name on a belt. He had seen this done in a store where you buy a belt and they will stamp the name on for you. He said the guy put a strip of tape over the belt before he used the stamps to stamp the initials on the belt. The stamps cut the tape when they were puonded into the leather. He pulled the cut out shapes of tape off the belt and then wiped dye right over the tape. He said when the guy in the store did this, it left perfectly dyed letters on the belt. When Rex tried this at home, he said his dye seeped under the tape and messed up the belt. Anyone do this, or seen it done and have any tips like what kind of tape etc?????

Good topic Clay!!

I tried this a little with masking tape and spirit dye but got problems with bleeding at the edges and have since ignored the idea.

Tom

I just talked to a friend and he had a question about putting a name on a belt. He had seen this done in a store where you buy a belt and they will stamp the name on for you. He said the guy put a strip of tape over the belt before he used the stamps to stamp the initials on the belt. The stamps cut the tape when they were puonded into the leather. He pulled the cut out shapes of tape off the belt and then wiped dye right over the tape. He said when the guy in the store did this, it left perfectly dyed letters on the belt. When Rex tried this at home, he said his dye seeped under the tape and messed up the belt. Anyone do this, or seen it done and have any tips like what kind of tape etc?????

Hey Clay, I read about a tape called Frog Tape in this thread:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=13899

I've never used the stuff myself, but it sounds like it might do the job. Best of luck!

-Adam

Hey Clay, I read about a tape called Frog Tape in this thread:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=13899

I've never used the stuff myself, but it sounds like it might do the job. Best of luck!

-Adam

Frog Tape won't work for this purpose. The absorbent material coats the edge of the tape not the center. You would need a tape that has the absorbent across the whole tape. Right idea but the wrong product.

Sorry

:no::no::no:

Have you thought of block dying (or whatever it's called) to limit the amount of dye being applied? If 'block dying' isn't the right phrase, it's the one where you apply the dye with a towel/strip of cloth wrapped around a hard edge- as in piece of wooden block.

Edited by TwinOaks

Frog Tape won't work for this purpose. The absorbent material coats the edge of the tape not the center. You would need a tape that has the absorbent across the whole tape. Right idea but the wrong product.

Sorry

:no::no::no:

I stand corrected. Thanks Bree :notworthy:

Have you thought of block dying (or whatever it's called) to limit the amount of dye being applied? If 'block dying' isn't the right phrase, it's the one where you apply the dye with a towel/strip of cloth wrapped around a hard edge- as in piece of wooden block.

No, you're right -- that's block dyeing. It's a really cool technique, if done right.