Sign in to follow this  
Kcinnick

Black Dye That Won't Rub Off

Is there a black dye that won't rub off? I like dyeing belt edges black, but fiebings pro black rubs off really easy. What's the best? Angelus, Lincoln, something else? I hate putting heavy coats of clearlac on the edge to keep black from rubbing off.

If you are finishing the edges, after the dye has been applied, slick the edges with a slicker tool or canvas or even some old faded blue jeans. After the edges dry, apply some Gum Tragacanth to the edges. Let the gum sit there for a short time,(until it looks like it's about dry), and then slick the edges again. This will help quite a bit, then you can use a very light application of super or satin sheen on top of that and you should be good. (black is a pain in the butt to keep from rubbing off without super sheening the heck out of it)

Have fun, Joey

post-19610-024722800 1324531656_thumb.jp

If you are finishing the edges, after the dye has been applied, slick the edges with a slicker tool or canvas or even some old faded blue jeans. After the edges dry, apply some Gum Tragacanth to the edges. Let the gum sit there for a short time,(until it looks like it's about dry), and then slick the edges again. This will help quite a bit, then you can use a very light application of super or satin sheen on top of that and you should be good. (black is a pain in the butt to keep from rubbing off without super sheening the heck out of it)

Have fun, Joey

I can make pretty edges thanks to spinner and hidepounder.

They just rub off without enough clearlac to make the pretty edges look like plastic. With hidepounders tutorial Ican make two pieces of leather look like one. I can't find a source of Lincoln dye.

Should I switch to using dark brown for my brown belt edges? Will it be more colorfast?

Once I am done with my drum dyed black leather I am using roon for all black.

If I apply roon with a copic sketch marker, will it turn just where I put the roon or will it run into my natural liner?

Thanks

Not sure about switching to the brown, but it is worth a try. It should be fine. Black is the only color I ever have problems with. As far as the roon goes, I can not be of any help as I am brewing my first batch as we speak. Today is the 7th day since I made the roon and so far haven't notice any change in the liquid. Must be patient.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions just ask.

Joey

The vinegaroon will soak into the fibers, possibly bleeding into areas you don't want it. Remember, it's not a dye, it's a liquid chemical and it's causing a reaction inside the leather.

So my hunt is on for the most colorfast black and best way to apply clearlac to just the edge neatly. Copic markers put it to thin, small wool daubers tend to drip. I'll get it right, and the inspiration will come from this group.

Q-tip.

Spray your clear lac into a small jar or cup, and dip the q-tip in it, then apply by wiping or rolling along the edge. You can do the same thing when you apply your dye, just press the q-tip against the side of the container to squeeze out the excess.

Q-tip.

Spray your clear lac into a small jar or cup, and dip the q-tip in it, then apply by wiping or rolling along the edge. You can do the same thing when you apply your dye, just press the q-tip against the side of the container to squeeze out the excess.

I apply edge dye with an empty copic marker. Works great. I just need a dye that won't come off.

I tried whittemore black shoe dye today and hand burnished with very little dye transfer. I am going to clearlac the edge tommorow and hopefully it will seal with a couple light coats.

i have found that feibings oil dye will not rub off. you might give it a try.

Is there a black dye that won't rub off? I like dyeing belt edges black, but fiebings pro black rubs off really easy. What's the best? Angelus, Lincoln, something else? I hate putting heavy coats of clearlac on the edge to keep black from rubbing off.

Yes there is. I use a product from Beiler's called Tuff Coat to do the edge of my belts and tack, it is available in quarts or gallons. The only time it rubs off is when it is not dry. After it dries you will need acetone to get it off. If you are interested Beiler's number is seven one seven seven six eight 0174

Edited by busted