Lisheen

Any Info On Singer 6K11?

Hi, starting up sailmaking/canvas work business and came across an old (1950s) Singer 6k11 leather sewing machine. A beautiful beast of a machine. She was offered to me for 800€ which has tempted me but money is tight and I would like to find out more about her. Can anyone help me?

Double check the model number. I don't see anything coming up when Googled. Photo?

Ian

SF Bay Area

http://imcinnis.blogspot.com/

This machine was originally designed for sewing buffing wheels, and for that price I would look around a bit more. It weighs almost 300 lbs. and could be expensive to get parts for as it was a special purpose machine. More info on ISMACS comprehensive singer model list. Gump.

The truth is out there..oooooaah ;)

Singer6Class.pdf

It might use some of the same parts as the class 7, then some important wear parts will be available. Ask Cowboy Bob (Kowar, Toledo Ind. Sewing machine Co.)

I think he have some parts for it.

What do you going to stitch on this machine, why do you need such a heavy machine?

It looks like the 6-11 was made for sewing buffing wheels(as mention in above post #3) sew`s up to 1 inch of material. Its made for sewing in circular movements, bottom feed and vibrating pressers (up and down movement). Looks to have the same shuttle as the class 7 (I thinks so, but I do not know this machine)

Tor

Thanks for the replies! I have no specific use for it yet as I am only starting the business. I envisage using it for leatherwork, heavy duty repair work of awnings etc. I have only ever used old machines and have a liking for them. It was offered for sale with an Refrey 1932 long armed machine and I'm trying to figure out the difference between 'needs' and 'wants'!

Hi, these machines (including the 7 class) has big clumsy feet`s and would not be any useful on leather work. I will do better on awnings. You might have to do some modifying of it, these machines are used for big industrial harnesses and such.

Good luck

Thanks Trox. I guess I thought it might be useful to have a machine that could repair anything thrown at it, albeit very slowly! I have a pfaff 138 and its timing gets thrown out by any heavy items (3 layers PVC) that I try to put through it.