Tex

Neels Saddlery Stitcher

Can anyone tell me about a Neels Saddlery stitcher. I have found a used 1 that looks clean & turns fine by hand. The plug in end was cut off. The person selling it said it was a 220 plug. I am not too sure about that.I threaded it & it double looped pretty bad on the bottom. It also left foot marks on the leather for what little bit I stitched by hand. Are these good machines? I know nothing about stitchers cause I have always stitched by hand & the arthritis is just getting so bad that I thought I would make it easier on myself. Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Adios,

Tex

Is it a Neel's Model 5, black body cylinder arm machine? If so, it is probably the forerunner of the Cowboy CB2500, which is a bottom fed, static needle machine. It should make a good tack and animal collar sewing machine, where the marks on the bottom are not so important. It can handle thick thread, with the proper needle and sew up to 7/16 inch of leather.

Loops under the leather can be caused by improper threading on top, thread not fully seated inside the top tension butterflies, Too much bobbin case tension, or too small a needle for the thread. Missed stitches would be caused by insufficient pressure on the foot, allowing the leather to lift with the needle.

If the motor is unusable, it can be replaced for under $200 with a servo motor.

I am not sure if that machine has reverse sewing or not. Ask the seller.

Is it a Neel's Model 5, black body cylinder arm machine? If so, it is probably the forerunner of the Cowboy CB2500, which is a bottom fed, static needle machine. It should make a good tack and animal collar sewing machine, where the marks on the bottom are not so important. It can handle thick thread, with the proper needle and sew up to 7/16 inch of leather.

Loops under the leather can be caused by improper threading on top, thread not fully seated inside the top tension butterflies, Too much bobbin case tension, or too small a needle for the thread. Missed stitches would be caused by insufficient pressure on the foot, allowing the leather to lift with the needle.

Thanks for your reply. It is a black body. I am trying to figure out what it may be worth since the plug end has been cut off & can't check the motor. The seller said it was a 220 plug end. I thought they were 110 but I don't know anything about stitchers. Do you know about what they cost new or a low ball park figure on them used. I reckon that would really be hard to do being that it can only be operated by hand at this time to see that it works. Not sure if the seller knows how to thread it either. He said he wouldn't take any less than $700.00 for it.

I don't know what they sold for new, but my best guess would be around $1400 tops. You can buy a brand new Cowboy CB2500, with a U shaped table and a new servo motor, for about $1000 without reverse, or $1300 with reverse, plus a couple hundred for shipping from Ohio (or gas to pick it up).

The motor will have a metal plate on it stating whether it runs on 110 or 220. You can buy a new plug at a hardware store. Why doesn't the seller replace the plug and show you if the motor runs? If you aren't shown a working motor, assume it is shot and will need replacing with a new (preferably servo) motor and matching v-belt. If the motor does require 220 volts, do you have it available in your shop? If not, add the cost of running a 220 line and socket.

The only thing that might make this a great deal would be if a ton of needles, bobbins, thread, etc, was thrown in. You would get really lucky if the only thing the motor needed was a new plug and it runs on 110.