Sign in to follow this  
troutbum1212

Saddle Horn

So I am completely new to all leather work and will hopefully be building my own saddle over the next year with the help of some experienced saddle makers in Montana... I am not back there right now to talk to them so that is why I am asking you guys! The saddle I have pictured in my head is completely unique as far as I know when it comes to the horn... I would like to use the burr end of and elk antler as the saddle horn... I was wondering what you guys thought the best way to connect it would be or if you even think it is possible. My idea was to put it on a lathe and get it perfectly round, drill a spot in the swell or fork where the horn would go and bolt it in recessing the bolts and then covering the tree with rawhide and stitching around the horn so it is the only part not covered... Like I said, I am completely new, does this sound possible at all or is there a better way to do it? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thank You

Tony

Edited by troutbum1212

Tony,

My advice is to learn to build a traditional saddle, then start making modifications. By the time you have mastered saddle construction, I would wager that your antler idea will be the last item on your "to do" list. By the way, a saddle for your first project....not a good idea.

Dave Theobald