pete

"light" Leather- What Can I Do?!

I just got my order of 3-4oz tooling from Springfield. Always great stuff and barely a bad piece on the whole SIDE!

Problem is ( and it's NOT Kevins' fault.....Kevin....I love ya man...)

the leather is SOOOOO light it's almost white. Tools well and burnished ok.. but oil didn't make any difference. I know that this isn't chestnut or some colored tanning, but what can I do besides sunlight for a few days that will give me some color!?

Has anyone ever dyed a piece before casing and tooling? Id'e love to know as I don't want to sacrifice much nice stuff to experiment if there is another way out there.

By the way- I tried my old true neat's/dye, and Bick's/dye mixtures but they made it a pukey orange color.

pete

I just got my order of 3-4oz tooling from Springfield. Always great stuff and barely a bad piece on the whole SIDE!

Problem is ( and it's NOT Kevins' fault.....Kevin....I love ya man...)

the leather is SOOOOO light it's almost white. Tools well and burnished ok.. but oil didn't make any difference. I know that this isn't chestnut or some colored tanning, but what can I do besides sunlight for a few days that will give me some color!?

Has anyone ever dyed a piece before casing and tooling? Id'e love to know as I don't want to sacrifice much nice stuff to experiment if there is another way out there.

By the way- I tried my old true neat's/dye, and Bick's/dye mixtures but they made it a pukey orange color.

pete

I don't think there's any other way than neatsfoot oil and some sun.

Is this the Hermann Oak? What grade is it?

My last leather from W&C was the same. It took 4x of normal amount of Pro-Oil dye to make it close to the usual color of this dye, second time dyeing and oiling after (Lexol for a light, and NF oil for a dark).

Sorry, have no idea what else could be done.

I'm using some of the same stuff, but I'm not seeing any problems. It takes oil dyes nicely, so airbrush it with a light brown or something to get the effects you want. I've found it's almost too white when using colored dyes - I have a few green and red items that are almost too bright. I've taken to dirtying it up a bit by dry rubbing a darker color over it to give it some depth.

Edited by BAD HIDE