Sign in to follow this  
bitone40

Finishes On Elephant

Hey guys, I know this is the wrong section but I saw a post in the exotic section about some elephant and didn't get any replys so ill ask in here since it is for a holster anyways . I did a holster with some elephant and I noticed it did not take dye very well, it finally soaked in afer a day but was sticky until it dried, now my question is does elephant need a finish like resolene or super shine, im sure it does but I just want to ask incase it does not . Thanks for any help I can get , you guys are the greatest

Ben

Ben, I've never used any exotics but I would imagine they or it would need a finish for protection as well. I recently made up my own finish which seems to be working out quite well. I used what most others have used to cook up their own concoction of Neatsfoot, beeswax and parrafin wax all melted in equal weight measurement. I just added a tablespoon of mink oil to the mix...melted it and let it solidify in a cup. I then rubbed it in the last holster that I made and it has worked real well. That was my final finish. Semper-fi Mike

I would think you would have to put something on it so the dye would not bleed out on clothing at least?

I just finished this one yesterday for a Glock 19/23/32. I used Fiebings Professional Oil Dye ( Black and Light Brown ), a light wipe with neetsfoot, and finally Angelus 600 sealer.

IMG_2323Medium.jpg

IMG_2327Medium.jpg

Edited by Shooter McGavin

Thanks guys for the help im going to go ahead and apply the sealer. If anything goes wrong with it I will post my findings. And shooter that holster looks great, I just started with the exotics that I received from another member and im starting to like working with it. Ill post some pics when im done with it here in a couple of days. Thanks again