I have a problem and I am hoping someone has run into this before. I started a new OWB pancake holster using 8/9 oz. leather. below are the steps I took to complete.

1.) Cut pattern, glued and stitched

2.) oiled with EVOO, (probably should not have done this before I vineagrooned)

3.) dipped in vineagroon

4.) lightly oiled again

5.) Wet formed holster

6.) applied two light coats of 50/50 mop-n-glo

I allowed at least a day in between the steps to allow for sufficient drying. After the sixth step I noticed there was a white film on the holster. I can rub it off but am curious as to what happened. In previous projects I have stitched the holster, vineagrooned and then oiled. I have read that some folks have had problems with the mop-n-glo and vineagroon and others have not.

any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Abram

I have a problem and I am hoping someone has run into this before. I started a new OWB pancake holster using 8/9 oz. leather. below are the steps I took to complete.

1.) Cut pattern, glued and stitched

2.) oiled with EVOO, (probably should not have done this before I vineagrooned)

3.) dipped in vineagroon

4.) lightly oiled again

5.) Wet formed holster

6.) applied two light coats of 50/50 mop-n-glo

I allowed at least a day in between the steps to allow for sufficient drying. After the sixth step I noticed there was a white film on the holster. I can rub it off but am curious as to what happened. In previous projects I have stitched the holster, vineagrooned and then oiled. I have read that some folks have had problems with the mop-n-glo and vineagroon and others have not.

any and all help is greatly appreciated.

From the old grump: I suspect, but am not sure, that your initial shot of EVOO may have something to do with it. I cut my leather, dump it in the vinegaroon, then a quick baking soda bath and rinse with clear water, allow to dry then assemble, stitch and burnish edges.. Apply neatsfoot oil and forget the thing for a couple of days. Apply Mop & Glo with an airbrush (or an old Windex pump sprayer works just as well) by just 'misting' it on. Allow to penetrate and dry for 20 minutes or so and hit it with the mist once more.Allow to dry for a couple of hours. Rub in (by hand -- no applicator) a light coat of Kiwi neutral polish and buff out. The warmth of your hand (fingers) helps get the polish down into the pores of the leather. Never had the problem you explain. I suspect that the EVOO is lifting the Mop & Glo and won't allow it to penetrate well. The oil doesn't dry, it tries to permeate the leather fibers evenly and, even in our 100 degree temps here in the desert, it takes some time. Sounds like, maybe too much of a good thing, to soon.. Mike

it

Thanks katsass,

I followed your advice before about using light coats of mop-n-glo and kiwi and my finished improved in appearance, guess I got a little carried away this time. Hopefully i can fix this uh oh and learn from it, seems I learn something new every time I build a holster.

On a side note I am curious as to how you know where to put your glue since you have vineagrooned? I use a sharpie to mark the holster pattern on the back side so I know where to glue.

Thanks again.

Thanks katsass,

I followed your advice before about using light coats of mop-n-glo and kiwi and my finished improved in appearance, guess I got a little carried away this time. Hopefully i can fix this uh oh and learn from it, seems I learn something new every time I build a holster.

On a side note I am curious as to how you know where to put your glue since you have vineagrooned? I use a sharpie to mark the holster pattern on the back side so I know where to glue.

Thanks again.

Well ---- I'm really not trying to be a smart A#$%, but, I've been doing this for over 50 years now, and somewhere along the line it got to the point that I just 'know'. I draw a design and pattern for every item I do --- even if it's for the same model of gun or knife that has been done the day before. When done with an item, I toss the pattern. When I've drawn a pattern, I just know how it's going to go together and where I need to glue things up. It's in my mind's eye and I can see it --- and just do it. I know it sounds trite, but I just don't need to mark things like that, and very seldom do I miss --- although I've drawn out a pattern and (being left handed) reversed it and made a real nice holster for a southpaw by mistake --- but only twice. Mike

Well ---- I'm really not trying to be a smart A#$%, but, I've been doing this for over 50 years now, and somewhere along the line it got to the point that I just 'know'. I draw a design and pattern for every item I do --- even if it's for the same model of gun or knife that has been done the day before. When done with an item, I toss the pattern. When I've drawn a pattern, I just know how it's going to go together and where I need to glue things up. It's in my mind's eye and I can see it --- and just do it. I know it sounds trite, but I just don't need to mark things like that, and very seldom do I miss --- although I've drawn out a pattern and (being left handed) reversed it and made a real nice holster for a southpaw by mistake --- but only twice. Mike

I do not think you are being a SA at all. I suspect if I had been doing it that long I would have that "feel" as well. This reminds me of my mom and her cooking, she very rarely ever measures anything and most if not all of the time her dishes come out great, she has that feel from cooking for so many years.