Sign in to follow this  
NewLeather

Any Help Identifying This Vintage Saddle?

I picked this saddle up for $125 at a feed store. It was layered in dust and dirt. The silver on it was caked in tranish. 8 hours later, it looks much better. Bad news is, no identifying marks ... which stumps me because it appears to have been a quality saddle. The latigo keeper was replaced, so my guess is that was the only place that had a maker's mark. I've been told older Circle Y's often times were only marked there and the stamped serial numbers were easily worn off over time. The silver on it looks to be original and is stamped Alpaca Mexico. Research has shown me that Circle Y used this silver concho style back in the early 70's. I'd love to know what this saddle is and maybe find more. It is one of the most comfortable saddles I have ever ridden in.

First pic if the "before" shot

post-21653-026586700 1305005598_thumb.jp

and these were taken right after being oiled for a 2nd time

post-21653-071470700 1305005657_thumb.jp

post-21653-027191300 1305005751_thumb.jp

post-21653-023617600 1305005786_thumb.jp

Ooops, should have mentioned .... the tree is rawhide covered.

it looks like an equitation saddle, horn needs recovered

I blieve you are right in thinking this is a Cicrle Y - so do I. Possibly made in mid-1970's

I need to see a pic of the forks from the front. I suspect this is an arab saddle. The shape of the fenders is circle y. Can you not find anything stamped into the leather on the underside of the jockeys or on the skirt high up under the jockeys. Usually on the near side.

Surely a Circle Y. Found one very similar, had the id plate on it, called Circle Y and it was made in 1982 and is worth $1900.......

Sorry for the delay. I haven't been on in a bit.

No, sadly no numbers stamped anywhere. However, the saddle was heavily used and not well cared for for many years. Anything that might have been stamped on it is long gone by now.

EEK - do you have a pic of your saddle? I'd love to see it and compare!

Saddlebag - I will get a pic from the front ASAP. Thanks.