Dave Richardson

Purse Frames

I am trying to make a coin purse using a 4 inch metal purse frame with clasp. Whats the method for installing these when using leather for the purse material ? Also, some frames have a row of holes on the outside of the frame, do they serve a purpose or are they just decoration ?

Dave

For the frames without holes, you place a small bead of glue in the frame groove. Do one side at a time and insert sides first. You can also stuff lacing into the grove with the leather if the leather is very thin. I let the first side dry for at least an hour (you should wait at least 15 minutes) then do the other side. After it has dried for a couple of hours I "crimp" the frame. There are special pliars for this but you can improvise with with regular pliars just make sure you place leather or cork on the teeth of the jaws as to not scratch the frame. Also be careful and try to crimp only the open end of the frame (where you inserted the leather) as to not crush the outside part. I crimp all around EVENLY! :) On the other frame with holes on the edge; these are stitching holes. Good luck