Tex Shooter

Two Dollar Stitching Jig

I picked up this mostly worn out Craftsman junk aluminum clamp on wood vice at a garage sale for $2. After thinking on how I could use it for a while I came up with this stitching jig. It works fine for what I make just the way it is, but I will probably modify it a little as time goes on. I already have a couple of ideas. I don't call it a stitching pony because it does not quite fit that bill. -- Tex

post-42291-0-10195000-1370999553_thumb.j

Great idea....you could call it a "stitching vise".......just sayin.

In answer to why mount on a board? The way it is mounted you can sit close to it with you legs under it. Also if you turn the board over and re-clamp it the to the table the vice becomes a vertical clamp for stitching. Because it is a wood vice it has provisions for mounting wood inserts for facing. They could be extended up about 3 inches safely to get more depth for larger items. -- Tex

now just make yourself some covers to protect the leather. I made mine removable so I can still use the vise for other stuff. I like the idea of mounting to a board like that though. I have another one I may do that with.

post-22094-0-49445600-1371047997_thumb.j

Update! I have glued some scrap veg tan leather strips to the vice to get a little clearance. Also I had a 2 dollar price tag on it to sell, which means that I only paid one dollar for it at the garage sale. The notches on the edge of the vice were there when I bought it. I took a picture of it flipped over to show how it can be used for a vertical clamp. I had not used it yet when I shot the first pictures, but I have now and it works great for knife sheathes. I still like to stitch without a clamp when I am watching TV, but it is slower. -- Tex

post-42291-0-66283400-1373293000_thumb.j

post-42291-0-56897300-1373293014_thumb.j

post-42291-0-84190100-1373293031_thumb.j