robertrock

Hello From Texas

Hi All, first post.

I have not done any leather working in about 40 years and I'm really interested in getting back into it. Last time I made anything was when I was about 10 so its been a long time. Recently, I made my son a knife pouch (no tooling just stained) from one of those kits and it turned out pretty good. Now, my wife wants one. I'm gonna try to do some basic tooling on hers so I can justify buying more tools and equipment. :rolleyes:

Got a lot of advice from the forum here before I started it. Have not done any tooling yet, just bought some basic tools today. I need some practice patterns to work on (spelled f-r-e-e) but have not found any.

Robert

Welcome to the site, try Tandy web site, they have a section of free patterns with examples of what it should look like when done.

Hello from Iowa. Lots of stuff around here. What type of patterns are you looking for? Cutting patterns? Carving designs? I have some stuff that's been in my way for a while now (spelled f r e e ). Got some more stuff for that youngster, too, but some of this I've already sent him (not sure how I got 3 of soome of these). If they're "open" patterns, I can post them here. If they're owned (sold) by someone, I'd have to send you the book (which is fine). I had a BUNCH of stuff stolen, so I know how much fun it is putting it back.

Robert

Glad to see ya back doing leather. If you bought the tools at Tandy , Austin, I bet you could talk to the guild members there and they would help you out. I think asking wouldn't hurt most they'll say is YES

I'm down in Corpus Christi

Happy tooling

Tim

Welcome to the Forum RobertRock!

Tim is right, coming on down to the Tandy Leather Store the first wednesday at 7pm to join our guild. The Longhorn Trail Leather Guild meets once a month. Our membership fees are $15 a year and we offer a project at every meeting. No extra cost, just make sure you attend.

Or

You can call Dennis and sign up for the Western Floral Carving class that we conduct on the second Saturday of each month from 10am to 3pm. The cost is $25 and everything is provided for you. You are given a handout, practice pattern, and a completed project. Nothing more to buy for this class. Not to say that you will not shop while you are there, but at least for the class, you will not need anything else.

Or

You can come by on the other Saturdays and meet with our OFC (guild) members. We are usually doing a project or practicing something related to leather. Oh yea, we have tons of jokes and we are usally laughing so hard that the manager has to tell us several times to keep it quiet back there.

Either way, welcome back to the craft and you have plenty of people that are willing to help.

Hello from Iowa. Lots of stuff around here. What type of patterns are you looking for? Cutting patterns? Carving designs? I have some stuff that's been in my way for a while now (spelled f r e e ). Got some more stuff for that youngster, too, but some of this I've already sent him (not sure how I got 3 of soome of these). If they're "open" patterns, I can post them here. If they're owned (sold) by someone, I'd have to send you the book (which is fine). I had a BUNCH of stuff stolen, so I know how much fun it is putting it back.

I'm looking for some basic western floral patterns to practice on. Guess I'll need the patterns and what tooling to use on them, I'm a bit rusty.

King's X - I bought some tools at another store but really want to visit the Tandy store. Yep, I will look into taking a Saturday class, sounds like fun.

We have a full library of books, DVDs and patterns for use by all guild membes. It is our library/netflix type operation. I will post some of my practice swivel knife pieces that I use as tap offs when I practice.

Good luck.

Klenda Swivel Knife Practice 1.jpg

Swivel Knife Acanthus Practice 1.jpg

Swivel Knife Circle Practice 1.jpg

post-6330-126464161724_thumb.jpg

post-6330-126464161957_thumb.jpg

post-6330-126464162139_thumb.jpg

Edited by King's X

Sounds like you have it pretty much under control down there. I'm going through stuff (new work bench) and found that I have [yet another] "Lucky7" pattern book for bilfolds, key cases, pocket secretary and a little whatever-that-is plastic craftaid pattern. PM or email with address and I'll send it. Couple of handbag patterns (cutting and carving), not sure what else yet, and the kids won't let me look at the moment :)