Sign in to follow this  
TTcustom

Wrist Watch Cuff

For my halloween party get up I made this wrist watch cuff. I may change the bands out though. Not sure I like them and they don't function as well as I would have liked. Need more brass foofaraw!

Explorers Watch 01.jpg

Explorer Watch 02.jpg

post-11332-12556545151_thumb.jpg

post-11332-125565452196_thumb.jpg

I love the basketweave! Where'd you get the watch? I've been wanting to do something like this (though not as wide), and finding the right watch is hard! I agree with you about the bands. Something thinner, a bit wider, and darker (like a java brown) might look better. How does it fasten?

This one is thinking outside the box! Cool one! :specool:

I love the basketweave! Where'd you get the watch? I've been wanting to do something like this (though not as wide), and finding the right watch is hard! I agree with you about the bands. Something thinner, a bit wider, and darker (like a java brown) might look better. How does it fasten?

Tasha I am cheap and this was a target Clearance rack watch. You are right, I am going to go with a darker dyed veg-tan strap with some stamping. The straps go to center bar brass buckles which you can't see and that is no good. They add the needed brass bling to the whole deal. So they have to move too. That is a Barry King Basketweave. I didn't follow the tutorial on basketweaving on an arc like I should have. I reread it after I finished and now I am sure the next one will be even better.

Thanks Storm!

Tasha I am cheap and this was a target Clearance rack watch. You are right, I am going to go with a darker dyed veg-tan strap with some stamping. The straps go to center bar brass buckles which you can't see and that is no good. They add the needed brass bling to the whole deal. So they have to move too. That is a Barry King Basketweave. I didn't follow the tutorial on basketweaving on an arc like I should have. I reread it after I finished and now I am sure the next one will be even better.

I wouldn't use an expensive watch on that either -- I was just idly looking at watches on Amazon last night and found one (an ugly one, at that) that sells for nearly $100K ON SALE. Crazy.

Rather than stamping the new bands, why not try distressing them? Someone elsewhere on the board posted this link and I think it sounds like fun to play with. I'm going to be doing some steamy things for a con next summer, and will definitely be experimenting with some of these techniques. Another one that a friend shared with me is hitting the leather with a bristle brush -- gives it little pockmarks. She used it on a mask she made to look like a skull with great results.

Another thing you can do to add brass bling is add rivets or spots; I've even used eyelets as accents. Metallic paint is fun to play with too; I bet you could make it look like a metallic coating has worn off. I've used Treasure Wax as a sort of antiquing technique -- dip a cotton swab in turpenoid, then the Treasure Wax, spread it on and buff it off. It looks really nifty.

Edited by tashabear

I wouldn't use an expensive watch on that either -- I was just idly looking at watches on Amazon last night and found one (an ugly one, at that) that sells for nearly $100K ON SALE. Crazy.

Rather than stamping the new bands, why not try distressing them? Someone elsewhere on the board posted this link and I think it sounds like fun to play with. I'm going to be doing some steamy things for a con next summer, and will definitely be experimenting with some of these techniques. Another one that a friend shared with me is hitting the leather with a bristle brush -- gives it little pockmarks. She used it on a mask she made to look like a skull with great results.

Another thing you can do to add brass bling is add rivets or spots; I've even used eyelets as accents. Metallic paint is fun to play with too; I bet you could make it look like a metallic coating has worn off. I've used Treasure Wax as a sort of antiquing technique -- dip a cotton swab in turpenoid, then the Treasure Wax, spread it on and buff it off. It looks really nifty.

I will take a look at that link at home. I was thinking about maybe trying that antiquing stuff. I am running low on time so I will have to do something quick.

Thanks,

Tim

Thanks to the insightful Tashabear I now have a much more attractive watch/vambrace. STEAM!

Explorer watch ver 2.jpg

Explorer watch ver 2 02.jpg

post-11332-125599856268_thumb.jpg

post-11332-125599857191_thumb.jpg

Simply outstanding. I really like the design.

Thanks to the insightful Tashabear I now have a much more attractive watch/vambrace. STEAM!

Dawwwww.....

That looks AWESOME. Nice work!