Sign in to follow this  
RooLeadGirl

Tools For Dog Collars (Stitching Etc)

The amount of tools is very confusing! Basically i'm looking to do this:

Make leather dog collars with a soft leather lining.... with and without conchos.. rhinestones etc.

So i seem to of figured out what I need to set rivets and conchos. My question is on the stitching and hole punching end? what are my basic needs? I'll most likely be getting almost everything from Springfield leather supply.. Can anyone help me out? ive seen that it appears i need the actual stitcher (needle one a hand tool) plus punches for the holes... found one that appears to do 5 at a time... and what about punching my holes in the end for the buckle to attach in?

Thanks in advance for all the help. There is a great bunch of people on here with a lot of knowledge.

well for my collars i have the following tools....

a small set of hole punches- cheapo from tandy

a couple of bag punches for the slots for the buckle tang- bought form weaver...i just got the two sizes for the size collars i made the most of

strap end punch-these are pricey but one for each size of strap is needed for a really finishes look

an adjustable stitching groover

a bench splitter that can also be used as a skiver for evening straps and then skiving down the end that folds under the buckle to reduce bulk.

as far as the stitching is concerned there are many different options....hand or machine...look in the sewing forum for stitching advice.

rivets and stuff ask your supplier for the correct tools to use with the products you buy.

oops forgot...an edge burnisher.

Edited by roo4u

Thanks! really appreciate it. I'm only going to be doign 1" size for now as i have boxers and most of my current clients do also.

ur welcome....ive heard the folks at springfield are really helpful so i bet if you call them and tell them what you want to do they could set you up with a starter set of the basic stuff you need...