Sign in to follow this  
barra

Pro's and cons of rigging types

I have started this topic in order to tie up some loose ends in my mind without hijacking some very informative topics. I have thoroughly gone through the posts relating to trees, fit and rigging placement. To me all of these topics seem to revolve around a common thread, saddle form, fit and function. Does the saddle fit the range of horses we intend to use it on without impeding their movement as far as is humanly possible. Now how are we going to lash this saddle to these beasts so that it continues to carry out it's intended purpose. The bars must sit on the horse in a certain place and the cinch must also sit in a certain place on the horse and maintain the saddle placement without also impeding movement/breathing. Bearing in mind that even if it is a custom saddle intended for one animal only, that horses confirmation will change with the seasons. My main question is.

What are the pro's and cons of the different rigging styles in relation to the different disciplines and what must the saddlemaker take into consideration when rigging a cutting, roping, working saddle etc. I would also like peoples positive and negative thoughts on cable rigging. Cable rigging was mentioned in other threads but the pros and cons of this style were not discussed in depth. The concept of cable rigging intrigues me but something about the mechanics does not gel.

Barra.

That is a tough question because it is dependent on riding philosphy. Around here we would say there is no difference. The horse moves the same weather he is doing dressage or cutting. They move with in the limits of their God given design no matter what costume the human has on.

As for the cable rigging you just need to understand that when you have a triangle and you pull on the point of it the pressure will go to where the area of the triangle is divided in half. The cable allows you to change the shape of the triangle. Personaly I don't think you need that capability if you know what your doing.

David Genadek

The use of the Cable rigging isn't about knowing what you're doing or about the triangle every saddle maker uses to find the spot of rigging. What if, when the saddle maker is finding the position of the triangle, finding the point of the rigging they could stop there? No More work. No more wasting their time on what kind of rigging it's going to be. The cable rigging allows them to have all rigging positions available to the rider for what ever horse they are riding depending on if the horse's back runs downhill or up hill. Not only, finding the position of rigging is easy, but now they have also cut down on the bulk under the riders legs, relieving pressure on the knees and the hips. As the rider gets older they will tell you this is an amazing feeling.