Peterk

Other leather choices for holster-making?

Hello all,

Just wondering what other types of leather would be suitable for holster work. There have been a couple of threads mentioning the use of Latigo and skirting leathers to make holsters. I have practically no knowledge of what those leathers are, and have only been using 8oz veg-tanned cowhide to make holsters.

I'm just trying to take my holstercraft to a new (professional?) level in terms of fit and finish, and the quality have already improved just by bumping the quality of the leather I use. Just wondering what other differences there are between me and custom makers who have been doing this far longer than I have, and also have sewing and burnishing machines. :)

Anyone? Is veg-tanned cowhide (shoulder, side, etc.), other than exotics, the only choice for typical leather holster-making?

Well I know vegtan wont hurt your stuff. Chrome tan leather from what I understand can be detrimental to metal if left in the holster for long periods of time however Im not a pro on this.

The latigo is leather that has been really infused with oils and dyed and is pretty tough stuff hence why youll find straps and such made from it. Its a little pricey

Also you have to remember that vegtan is the one that you can get wet and mold to the shape of the gun and is how you get the nice boning and such.

Then again Im not much of a experienced leather worker and have only made one holster I just search the web alot.

Vegetable tanned horsehide has been used with success by several makers. Don't know of any suppliers right off the top of my head, though.