Sign in to follow this  
gregintenn

Shoes And Boots

Can these be made by hand without the benefit of mechanical presses and sewing machines. If anyone here does this, and I'm sure some do, I'd love to know how the soles are attached, as well as other helpful information on how they are made. I'll bet others would be interested as well.

yes you can sew soles onto shoes .........i did. there is a mid sole and an outer sole

that is sewn by hand useing a saddle stich.post-1906-127846779737_thumb.jpg

now ,i grant you your shoes might be this shape,but

you can do what you asked.

Edited by Luke Hatley

Hi There

It all depends how complicated you want to go -- but remember that most really top bespoke shoes are still hand made today - look on You tube for some of the videos on shoemaking. I was at a few of the custom shoemakers in Italy a while back and you can not believe the quality they produce ALL handmade with very rudimentary tools, old wooden lasts and basic sewing equipment - but these guys where born doing it.

Have a look at these books too http://www.shoemakingbook.com/

There are a few tutorials here too - Johanna has pasted a e-book on Western Boot Making and there are some Viking Boots in the Historical Reinactment Section.

Cheers Dave

Thanks. It looks like quite a challenge to me, but sometimes I like a challenge.

Foxfire 6 has a section about shoemaking, there's a little handstitching on the uppers and the soles are pegged on. Pretty rudimentary, but very possible if you have lasts.

Kevin