When you guys are laying out your patterns do you prefer to have the grain run in a certain direction (up & down or left & right) or do you not consider it?

I wonder if you have better strength or rigidity if you have the grain run a certain direction.

Interesting question. To be onest, I've never really thought of this before, but now that I have, I guess I'll have to say I always have the grain pattern going down. I don't have a motive for this really, it's just how I lay out my patterns on the skin I'm working with.

Regards,

Chris

When I make holsters I have the grain going side to side. I don't know if it's true but it seems less stretchy that way so I thought it may hold the moulding better. I asked the people at Hermann Oak if they thought it would make a difference and they said no. I've made holsters both ways just to see if I could tell a difference and I couldn't so I kept making them the way I started.

Very interesting question. A long time ago, all the old pros back then were adament about cutting parts with or against the grain. If belts should be cut with the grain (from head to tail) why do tanneries sell double shoulders specifically for belts?! Kind of a quandry, isn't it. About the only thing I am adament about cutting with the grain are stirrup leathers, and I am sure to always put the strongest, firmest one on the left side. Besides that, I have run into very few problems cutting other parts for the best economy of your materials.

When you cut belts from shoulders you always end up with less than top quality leather both ends unless it is a small belt. I always use backs or butts for belts.

Tony.