Sign in to follow this  
SLC23

Fire Helmet Leather Shield

I have a blank leather helmet shield, I would like details on how to make it into a completed fire helmet shield.

Such as do you carve it and what paint to use.

How do you plan on using it? Will it be on a helmet that just hangs on the wall or will it be on a helmet that you plan on fighting fire with? You could take a look at Cairns web site and see what they say. On their gold leaf shields it looks to be oil based pain and I would bet it is the same on the others. The pics are of one of my fathers helmet that I bought for him in 1995 and my issue helmet. My helmet has seen a fair bit of fire and it is blistered at the top but the paint hasn't came off. Check Paul Conway's shields out, parts of thier shields look dyed. I hope this is of some help to you.

post-9374-085944500 1299706454_thumb.jpg

post-9374-061851900 1299706469_thumb.jpg

How do you plan on using it? Will it be on a helmet that just hangs on the wall or will it be on a helmet that you plan on fighting fire with? You could take a look at Cairns web site and see what they say. On their gold leaf shields it looks to be oil based pain and I would bet it is the same on the others. The pics are of one of my fathers helmet that I bought for him in 1995 and my issue helmet. My helmet has seen a fair bit of fire and it is blistered at the top but the paint hasn't came off. Check Paul Conway's shields out, parts of thier shields look dyed. I hope this is of some help to you.

I also make leather helmet front and have googled leather helmet fronts to see different designs.There is a lot out there. I use a starter set of tools and letters and numbers stamps. I have not done a lot of carving yet though.