FlHobbyist

Skiving Knife For Paring An Ostrich Edge?

I would like to be able to shave the edges of a piece of ostrich hide so they are paper thin. I would like to skive in 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch, and have the cut be fairly rectangular, so that the edge is almost notched all the way around. I have tried using:

A) Box cutter - Couldn't get the right angle

B) Exacto - Couldn't get the right angle, and it wasn't sturdy enough

b1) Super Skiver - Absolutely useless for this task.

c) Round Knife - Found an angle that sort of worked, but it sort of didn't work either, also I couldn't figure out a way to hold the hide without a real danger of skiving my left knuckles as well as the hide.

I think what I need is a Angled Skiving/Paring Knife. I've attached a picture of one to this post. The only manufacturer I've spotted is Vergez Blanchard.

Is this the knife style I need?

Who makes high quality knives of this style. For me, money is no real object because I would rather buy 1 quality knife that will last a lifetime, rather than a Tandy knife now that I will have to replace as soon as I try it and see what a piece of junk it is.

Bob

post-42218-0-56281700-1378767675_thumb.j

Edited by FlHobbyist

http://www.handtools...products_id=126

You need this. I have the Super skiver and a couple of the others. They cannot do delicate controlled work. With a fresh blade, turn it at a small angle and you can shave to slash.

Edited by Red Cent

Thanks to those who have made suggestions. I tried the skife knife because it was quick and easy to acquire. I wasn't entirely impressed with it, I got the one made by Osbourne, and I have to say it was as flimsy as could be and it is a trip putting in the razor blades. Luv them paper cuts. Maybe with practice it could be used.

I haven't gotten up the gumption to call Paul yet, while money isn't the highest criteria it is a consideration, especially since I don't yet have his head knife and I only have 1 of his swivel knives.

I'm thinking of calling Bruce Johnson and seeing if a French Edger isn't what I need.

Thanks again, and the quest goes on.

Edited by FlHobbyist