Sign in to follow this  
Sovran81

Tool Recomendation

I am in need of a tool to round the edge of a belt or strap on 1-2 layers of 6-8 OZ leather. I am not close enough to anywhere that sells tools to try different ones out. If anyone could suggest an appropriate tool and possibly post a pic of the cut it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I am in need of a tool to round the edge of a belt or strap on 1-2 layers of 6-8 OZ leather. I am not close enough to anywhere that sells tools to try different ones out. If anyone could suggest an appropriate tool and possibly post a pic of the cut it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

# 2 and #3 are the most common size edgers used. Use the #2 on one layer of the type leather you are using, use the #3 for a rounded edge on a double thickness like you are using. If you have those two sizes they should work on most projects you'll have. Get those sizes and do some experimenting on scraps before you tie into your real project.

Bill

# 2 and #3 are the most common size edgers used. Use the #2 on one layer of the type leather you are using, use the #3 for a rounded edge on a double thickness like you are using. If you have those two sizes they should work on most projects you'll have. Get those sizes and do some experimenting on scraps before you tie into your real project.

Bill

A #2 (# 3,4 5) edger from one manufacturer often has a different size than a #2 ( #3,4,5) edger from another manufacturer, so you have to find one brand that suits your needs

/ Knut

Thank you both. I have found 2 #2s and ordered them. Since I am pretty handy with tools I figured I can file shape one to make it larger and deeper.

Another good thing to have around with edgers is a sharpening system. My first set of edgers was from Weavers and I got all the sizes. Glad I did. BUT!

The sharpening board I got at the same time, I won't give up! Get it, no matter what edgers you use.

Yes, I could use twine and rouge, or make my own. Why reinvent a really good wheel.

Knut also is very correct, one brand #2 = somebody else' #3. Barry King tools are superb, I have a couple. I am going to get more when the ship comes in, later this spring, I think. LOL

Kevin

Knut also is very correct, one brand #2 = somebody else' #3. Barry King tools are superb, I have a couple. I am going to get more when the ship comes in, later this spring, I think. LOL

Kevin

The # system has its draw backs, take for example hole punches: It is strange why yoy put a # on a punch instead of the actual measurement, preferably in the metric system so you don´t have to stress your brain with fractions of inches ? America, convert to metric ( like the rest of the enlightened world!! hehehe

/ Knut