So I've done my first two projects and they went pretty well thanks to you guys.

My big question is the dye, is there a ratio for reducing and any easy ways to mix the dye and reducer?

also I bought reducer from tandy can I use anything else to reduce?

I'm using fiebings dye, non eco, and the swabs to apply the dye (which leaves "streaks" anyway to avoid these???)

Thanks in advance

Eric

My big question is the dye, is there a ratio for reducing and any easy ways to mix the dye and reducer?

The only "rule" I follow for mixing dye colors is, what do I think looks good? Once I think I have the color I want, I paint it onto a piece of leather, and sometimes also antique over it, to be sure I'll get the final color I want. The amounts you use to get an exact color will vary from one project to the next because dyes from different lots of the same color can vary quite a bit.

For mixing, I use medicine droppers and measure by the dropper-full. I keep track of how much I use of each color to get the shade and hue I want, but I always test it each time.

also I bought reducer from tandy can I use anything else to reduce?

The "reducer" is mostly just denatured alcohol, which you can buy by the gallon for less than the cost of a 16oz bottle of the "official" stuff.

I'm using fiebings dye, non eco, and the swabs to apply the dye (which leaves "streaks" anyway to avoid these???)

Try putting on a lighter coat first, then follow with stronger coats.

Hope this helps...

Kate

Thanks so much Kate, I love your work by the way, your amazing!!

so would a ratio of 1/1 be too much or do you just judge by the color of he dye before applying it?

also I dont have any of the antiqueing stuff does tandy carry that? is it a dye or finisher and what does it do exactly???

thanks again

Eric

1:1 is a good place to start. For darker colors I use more, for lighter colors, less.

Tandy carries numerous antiques and stains. If you use dyes or antiques, you should also put a top coat of some kind over it to seal the colors and prevent them from bleeding. The exception to that is if you use something like Tandy's all-in-one, which is an antique/stain and finish in one product. I've tested it, and do not hesitate to recommend it to beginners. It's easy to use, and gives pretty nice results.

Kate

Eric,

The streaking you're talking about is the main reason I don't use spirit-based dyes anymore. For me at least, they always went on much too dark and the dauber streaks were clear as day. Kate's advice is good, and here are some additional options for you to try:

1. Switch to Eco-Flo dyes. The water-based formula absorbs slower and goes on very even, even with a dauber.

2. Mix your dyes with Lexol conditioner to slow absorption and provide lighter, more even colors. Apply with a piece of white T-shirt. (Experiment on scrap to find the right mix for your tastes.)

3. Use an airbrush to apply your dyes. This will provide more even coverage than sloggin' it on with a dauber.

I tried #2 above with good results, but ultimately switched to Eco-Flo because I consider myself dye-challenged :whistle: and found it's the easiest stuff to use.

Good luck!! -Alex

Thank you Alex, big fan of your work man, I dig the designs on your cuffs.

I read the eco dyes will run if they get wet, is this true or do you have to seal them some way??

also whats a decent airbrush, I have a compressor.

Eric

Hey eric,

A good airbrush to get is the Paasche VL. It is a good all around airbrush and, if properly maintained will last you a long time. I only use spirit or oil based dyes, though I have been playing with the Ecoflow stuff, but I airbrush my dyes on, so I don't get the streaking. I would think that since Ecoflow is water based, you would need a good sealer to keeping it from running when wet.

I read the eco dyes will run if they get wet, is this true or do you have to seal them some way??

Eric, two coats of Satin Shene will do the trick. Eco-Flo is fine for minor water contact, like rain, etc. But it's not my first choice for outdoor gear that might really get wet...

(And thanks for the kudos -- much appreciated!)