Sign in to follow this  
landm42006

Calf Leather

Very noob question, but what would be the difference between calf leather and the veg tanned leather I buy from Tandy to make watch straps with? And where can I purchase this calf leather, if it is that great?

I read about calf this, and calf that, and how soft it is, but can not find any at the tandy site. Dont know if I am even looking properly, or using the correct "search" term.

Please, oh learned ones, enlighten an ignorant soul.

THanks and S/F, Marty

Calf leather is as the name implies, it comes from a younger animal. It is lighter in weight, normally 2 to 3 ozs, and is usually fairly blemish free. It is also softer. Most of the normal veg tan leather you are referring comes from older animals that have processed in a packing plant, probably cattle 12 to 18 months of age, and the heaveir coming from cows, bulls that have passed their prime. As far as I know, calf leather is also veg tanned. Tandy sells calf leather as well. They sell it as Petite Tooling Calf and Kip Tooling Side. Hope this helps.

Terry

Edited by terrymac