Sign in to follow this  
Russ

Chap leather from Weaver

I'm going to make two pairs of working chaps for a guy that uses them for their original purpose....huntin' cows in brush and among trees. Normally I buy my leather at a local Tandy, but I want to buy this leather from Weaver. Can those of you that have ordered from Weaver for work chaps give me an idea of which leather you liked the best?

Thanks for your advice.

I can't say I've used the chrome tanned for work chaps, but I've bought the 09-1001S ($4.35), the nubuck ($3.00) and their09-1000S ($2.83). Also the pebble grain 5/6oz ($3.00)

The first is very nice quality - almost flawless - maybe too nice for work chaps

The Nubuck was also very clean - medium temp

The $2.83 was a bit different the two times I ordered it - the one time it had a great nubuck/suede feel - nice and soft - I used it for mechanics wrench pouches and they looked great.

My favorite was the pebble grain - a really great feeling leather and looks like a million bucks too. However there were some fairly large flaws which may have been tricky to cut around for chaps.

I think they would all work well for work chaps depending on how important the finish is (I'd pick the nubuck)