Sign in to follow this  
The Grizzly

First Snap Closure Modified Pouch Sheath, Critiques Please!

The customer who ordered this knife and sheath wanted a different sheath than my normal pouch design. So, I printed up several options and he picked the one he liked. I've never made one like this before, and I have GOT to learn not to be stingy with my leather....it almost bit me in the end with the fold over snap area...it fits and snaps perfectly, but there is no room for movement at all.

It's made from 8/9oz veg tanned, dyed Fiebing's Pro Oil black and finished using my mix of beeswax/paraffin/neats foot oil heated into the sheath. Final finish with 2 coats of neutral shoe polish.

Any critiques are always welcome, I would especially like ideas concerning the belt loop attachment as I think it could have been done differently. I basically took a length of belt strap, folded it over and skived down the ends to make it thinner, then glued and stitched it onto the back of the sheath.

Also, I would like a different way of covering the snap's back plate so it doesn't rub against the knife handle. I took a dot of leather, skived it down and glued it on...not the best but it works quite well. Short of lining the sheath, how would one remedy this?

So, without further adieu...

DSCN4054.jpg

DSCN4056.jpg

DSCN4059.jpg

DSCN4050.jpg

BTW, the knife is a bullnose skinner in 440C with Osage Orange scales.

Griz. I like it!! Actually I like them both! Somewhere I have seen (someone on here I think) advertised, a gizmo that pops into the hole in the back side of the snap that is teflon which protects the knife, gun etc. from touching the steel of the snap. Mabe a search of the hardware section might help..........or someone else knows?? Great work! Mike

Thanks Mike! I will most certainly take a look for this piece!! The snaps are Line 24 snaps, for anyone that sees this and wants to comment on the piece he's talking about.

Griz, I do quite a few sheaths like that .Usually mine are lined which takes care of that problem.A couple of other ways is to cut a small flap into the flesh side, about half the thickness,installyour snap and glue the flap down.Another way is to take a flat 1/2" wood boring bit a counterbore into the flesh side and recess the snap.Those snap caps look pretty cool and I can see getting some but without seeing them mounted am inclined to think they might catch on the knife upon insertion.Dave

When doing sheaths like this remember to keep the retaining strapclose to the top of the sheath, so the knife doesn't slide up.You did a fine job , but others may try this style.My EDC is wearing this style of sheath

irondam2.jpg

For beltloops I am sorry I don't have alot of pics of the backside, but this is the style of beltloop I use quite often

Lacedpython5.jpg

good looking sheath and knife

Very cool I like it.Nice job

Thanks again guys. DC, thanks for the other ideas on remedying that problem!

I like those push in covers, but I think you may be right in your assumption that a knife would catch on them on insertion. A gun doesn't have much to worry about in the way of a razor sharp point and edge.