everythingslower

Card Holders, Wallets... Which Parts Of Hide To Buy?

I'm looking to buy some veg tanned leather for small leather goods. I will be making card holders, wallets, clutch purse, journal covers, camera straps and perhaps small bags if my skills improve over time. As I have limited budget and space, I don't wish to purchase a full piece of cow hide for now. Which parts do you guys recommend for the above type of projects and why?

I read that bellies has little use cos it's stretchy. Is it really that un-usable? What happens if I make a card holder using the belly part, will it stretch so much over time that cards may easily slip out?

I'm looking to buy some veg tanned leather for small leather goods. I will be making card holders, wallets, clutch purse, journal covers, camera straps and perhaps small bags if my skills improve over time. As I have limited budget and space, I don't wish to purchase a full piece of cow hide for now. Which parts do you guys recommend for the above type of projects and why?

I read that bellies has little use cos it's stretchy. Is it really that un-usable? What happens if I make a card holder using the belly part, will it stretch so much over time that cards may easily slip out?

For wallets I think you want something like 3-4 ounce veg tanned. Springfield leather will sell you a smaller, like 5 sq ft. piece. You're also going to want some lining leather like pig or sheep in the 1 ounce range.

Straps would be best with latigo or harness leather I think,

For bags and such you'd want a 3-4 ounce garment leather. That would be chrome tanned. It's softer.

Edited by RunKittyRun

Are you planning to carve/stamp your projects? You will need at least 5-6 ounce veg tanned. Get a shoulder if you want all thickness to be nearly same weight. A back will give you some thinner leather in spots you can use for card holders. The garment leather is fine for some purse designs with no tooling. Buy ready made wallet/purse liners, you won't need another leather to line. Large carved purses do best with 6-8ounce veg tanned.

ferg

quote name='RunKittyRun' timestamp='1343255842' post='257923']

For wallets I think you want something like 3-4 ounce veg tanned. Springfield leather will sell you a smaller, like 5 sq ft. piece. You're also going to want some lining leather like pig or sheep in the 1 ounce range.

For bags and such you'd want a 3-4 ounce garment leather. That would be chrome tanned. It's softer.

Thanks for the tip! I'll look out for 3-4 ounce ones.

Are you planning to carve/stamp your projects? You will need at least 5-6 ounce veg tanned. Get a shoulder if you want all thickness to be nearly same weight. A back will give you some thinner leather in spots you can use for card holders. The garment leather is fine for some purse designs with no tooling. Buy ready made wallet/purse liners, you won't need another leather to line. Large carved purses do best with 6-8ounce veg tanned.

ferg

I don't plan to carve or stamp my projects. Shoulder sounds good. Thanks!