Sign in to follow this  
entiendo

Fun and Funny Project Idea

I did this project as a fun and unique Christmas gift for a few friends and family.  It's a kangaroo scrotum pouch.   They are a HUGE hit!   I actually had 5 orders that I can't fill because I don't have any more pouches.  This picture is actually the best one of the 3 I made. I'd never done an edge braid so it took me a couple of tries to get the look I wanted.

smallpouch.jpg

post-6663-126117056305_thumb.jpg

Edited by entiendo

Another beautiful piece. I've always wanted one of these, and I've seen several before but none made by one as skilled. I've wanted to use these as herb and tea pouches when camping because of the no seems ideal

But i might suggest a lighter edge braid? Perhaps a single spanish edge braid maybe even a double.

The mexican just looks a little unflexible to me.

Where do I find instructions for that kind of braid. This is the only one I could find. It's called an 8 plait braid, but it looks more like an 6 plait to me.<br><br>Oh, and it might look a little heavy because this is the hide that convinced me I needed a splitter and those strings aren't split.  It's got to be right at 1 mm thick.  <br><br><br>

Edited by entiendo

I did this project as a fun and unique Christmas gift for a few friends and family.  It's a kangaroo scrotum pouch.   They are a HUGE hit!   I actually had 5 orders that I can't fill because I don't have any more pouches.  This picture is actually the best one of the 3 I made. I'd never done an edge braid so it took me a couple of tries to get the look I wanted.

entiendo

That's pretty cool!! I like the edge braid. I think I got some buffalo sacks around here I just got to find them. Thanks for sharing and the great idea.

Mike

You might be able to see how it is done from gary's current pics, of his new bracelets.

This one.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=33708

I couldn't find any info on google or anything, but if you need to I can scan something from grants book

Thanks Rawhide!

I know what kind of braid that is, it's the same one that I cover a ring with. In fact I still have (and use) rawhide1's directions for that particular braid because I couldn't figure it out from Grant's book....Thanks.

Although, I do think I like the 8 plait braid a bit better. It's like it has plaiting right along the edge. One of my pouches has the 8 plait edge braid done with the holes wider apart. I thought I would like it a bit more loose as well but I don't really, it's still nice though. If I could change something about this pouch I would want the string split and a better way to pound it so the plaiting lays smoother. I used a rolling pin but a hammer handle still works better.

One of my customers that does jewelry sent me a tiny little ruler so I can measure .8mm, so I'm one step closer to putting that splitter to use.

entiendo--glad you posted this as I was going to ask if anyone could supply instructions on the type of edge braiding you have done here. What is it called and where can I find instructions for it? I wanted to use this type of edge braid for a pair of spur straps I have planned. thanks for any info. Charlie

Yesterday I went looking for the file again and found it, but it's in PDF format and I don't know how to post a PDF file. Send me a PM and I will send you the files directly or just do a search for 8 plait edge braid and Part 1 is one of the first things that comes up on a Google search. It's from an outdoor magazine of some kind, I can't remember the name right off hand. Part 2 is further down the page on Google, but they are both easy to find.

Yesterday I went looking for the file again and found it, but it's in PDF format and I don't know how to post a PDF file. Send me a PM and I will send you the files directly or just do a search for 8 plait edge braid and Part 1 is one of the first things that comes up on a Google search. It's from an outdoor magazine of some kind, I can't remember the name right off hand. Part 2 is further down the page on Google, but they are both easy to find.

There were some on another forum made from cow ball sacks. Made for the power lineman in mind but they ruined them by calling them "Lineman's nut BAG" Lineman's nut sack would have been perfect. :)

Anyway it's a cool thing.

There were some on another forum made from cow ball sacks. Made for the power lineman in mind but they ruined them by calling them "Lineman's nut BAG" Lineman's nut sack would have been perfect. :)

Anyway it's a cool thing.

I've never seen a cow with a ball sack!!!!LOL Kinda of reminds of the movie kingpin when Woody milked the bull

Mike

Edited by rawhide1