I had a conversation with an old Russian leather maker (More like a combination of mime, charades and Pictionary)

He had been watching me "play" with making a batch of Vinegroon.

Anyway he told me that "back home" they make Vinegroon in all colors.

he mentioned by using apple peels and apple cider vinegar they make an electric blue.

He produced a new buck suede shoe with the most intense shade of blue I have ever seen!

Until now I have only heard of black Vinegroon made with iron and vinegar. I wanted to try it for myself so......

Was he pulling my leg or is there some truth behind his statement ?

I have just started playing around with this technique, but in doing some research on ebonizing wood, it may be some truth here.

You'll have to look around yourself (I've forgotten all of the sites I looked at), but for wood, they were saying that different types of vinegar (apple cider, red wine and such) can be used to produce different colors. I believe the apple cider they said would give you a green hue.

Since both wood and leather have tanins that react to the mixtures, I would think that you might be able to create different colors. But I think there is more to the formula than just the type of vinegar.

My two cents for ya!