troy

Ignorance Is Bliss, Except For A Maker!

After a long spell away from the pulling on the lace, have wiped the dust from the awl and dowel and rejoined the satified who make and create.

Don't know why I started again with a quirt but as good an exercise for the wriest as any I guess - as for my ignorance; I know what a whips for (saving dansels in distress and avoiding large boulders)but a quirt. I gather they may be used to swish away flies and such but are they really an aid to help command a horse such as if it see's the thong out of the corner of its eye's? could some one enligthen me as to their proper use which may help me in their designing.

post-182-072188900 1337410195_thumb.jpg

mexican style quirt with long knot for handle and cats style thongs for end.

post-182-005343900 1337410210_thumb.jpg

the long interweave centre band knot taken from ron's book

I love the look of your quirt troy. It has the taste of a whip maker in the style you present it. Very interesting and also very nicely braided. As for the use of a quirt, I am not a horse owner. So my definition of the use of one would be far from correct.

B...

many uses....a romal on romal reins is just a big attached quirt....if using on horseback it can be used to fend off other animals, move cattle, make ur horse go faster or behave itself.

cheers knothead and roo4u for your comments.

I'm wondering as its 3cm at the handle and 2cm along the whip if it would be regarded as too chunky, I guess for a whip these sizes are OK for the weight but for such a short length as this (3 foot from start of handle to end knots in strings)would it be regarded as OK?

troy

Probably find some other uses over in the adult section =)